CBR1100XX.org Forum

Galfer SS brake lines??? Warchild???

exskibum

Tried to do a search on this 2 or 3 times, but get nothing, no matter how broadly I specify it, and I KNOW that the word "Galfer" has been used on the site, if only for wave rotors, but even that doesn't show up. But other searches do continue to work for me -- weird. Anyway . . .

I missed out on the Spiegler Group Buy last year (wasn't participating on the board much then), and I see pics of Warchild's lines which appear to be made for the Bird's linked system.

A couple weeks ago, I ordered the Galfer SS lines for the Bird -- sets for the Front, Back and Clutch. When I got them, I immediately thought: "uh oh -- THAT sure doesn't look like it's made to fit the linked system." Among other things, there are NO connectors that are not banjos, and there are clearly connectors in the linked system (as well as some short hoses) that don't look like the long line, banjo only Galfer sets I got.

Figured I'd wait 'til I tore the bike down and took a much better look with Service Manual in hand before I asked about it here and then contacted the distributor. Confirmed -- might be able to use a couple or three of the lines in places, but that's it. My guess is that these are for a delinked system (not specified in any way on the web site I bought from) -- one in which the secondary master cylinder, proportional control valve, delay valve and all parts related to their operation are taken out of the system??? Each set is clearly marked as fitting my '97 Bird. Anyone know what the story is on these?

Next question: what exactly do I have to do to get hold of the Spiegler set up I see in the pics of WC's Night Train for my '97? I know it won't be at GB prices, but at least it looks like it's made to fit the linked brake system of the XX. And does Galfer even make such a set up?

I missed out on the Spiegler Group Buy last year (wasn't participating on the board much then), and I see pics of Warchild's lines which appear to be made for the Bird's linked system.  

Next question: what exactly do I have to do to get hold of the Spiegler set up I see in the pics of WC's Night Train for my '97?  I know it won't be at GB prices, but at least it looks like it's made to fit the linked brake system of the XX.  And does Galfer even make such a set up?

http://www.spieglerusa.com/

Pretty sure they set you up. 8)

My impression of the Galfer setup was it replaced certain rubber lines and left the factory hard lines in place, a good idea, IMO. Maybe take a closer look at what you have and see if it makes any more sense viewed like that.

Also, while the Speigler setup is nice, it replaces all of the factory hard lines, which is pointless and a lot of work for zero gain- hard steel lines do not expand. You also pay for lines you don't need.

Hel makes a kit that replaces all the factory rubber lines while retaining the hard lines and LBS, this makes the most sense to me if you're staying linked. Sorry, no link for that, but google is your friend :)

I have the Galfer SS lines on the front brakes and clutch. I didn't bother with the rear line. All the lines connect with banjo fittings.

The two front lines bolt to the master cylinder with a common banjo bolt. It does not de-link your brakes.