CBR1100XX.org Forum

Metzelers - M3s first imressions

Grey_XX

Bike: upgraded DK fork with Ohlins shock and TSR linkage (nose is really tilted down). Stock tire size.

Reference points: BT 57 for 5kmiles, BT 010s for 15k miles, Avon 45/46 for 40k miles.

OK, so I was headed towards M1 front/Z6 rear but it turned out that the M1 was missing at the time I needed it. Instead of going M3/Z6 (I am never experiementing with tires), I went with the M3 back an front

Keep in mind three things:

-I have been riding 45/46s forever and therefore they are my reference, because I am so used to them.

-I have put 170 miles on the tires, so it really is a first impression thing

-None of these miles were spirited, coz the roads are still wet at times and I am not stupid (I wish).

I had a gripe with the 45/46 and that was their wet traction. I have spun the rear more times than I care to remember (always on questionable surfaces but still). The M3s have PLENTY of grip, they offer more feedback, feel VERY planted on the angle (a little bit like the 010s, but more solid), you really feel confident about screwing around when leaned over (adjust this, adjust that, move your ass a little, grab a little brakes, etc.) but it comes at a price: they really fall in slowly. OK maybe it is not that bad but you have to work them so much harder than the 45/46 that it certainly feels like you have to adjust. On the plus side though, you do get to apply some significant power on those ‘misty’ roads where the 45/46 would just give up fairly easily. Keep in mind that with yesterday’s weather, I would run 36/38 with the Avons and I was running 38/40 with the M3s. Warm up time is pretty much the same as with the 45/46.

More, as soon as I get more ‘saddle time’.

Hey Hugo- if wet grip wasn't an issue for you, would you stick with the Avons? I'm running a 49/46 combo on mine, but would change for a noticeable bump in rear tire mileage. I'm pretty curious to see if you get better numbers with the M3s than with the Avons.

Bryan...we don't get much rain east of the Divide...

Hey Hugo- if wet grip wasn't an issue for you, would you stick with the Avons? I'm running a 49/46 combo on mine, but would change for a noticeable bump in rear tire mileage. I'm pretty curious to see if you get better numbers with the M3s than with the Avons.

Bryan...we don't get much rain east of the Divide...

My bet is that the M3 will not last as much as the 46 does. I may go to 49/46 for summer time, depending on hoe the M3s behave.

Hugo