CBR1100XX.org Forum

Charging probs. (VFR)

Andy1100

Ok here's the scoop. Buddys got a 98 VFR 800, wasn't charging, traced it out and replaced the R/R with an electrex unit. Getting 60v AC even between all 3 legs of the stator @5000rpm, no grounding of any legs. no voltage losses through connectors, ingnition switch, cables etc. The battery was just replaced, (cheapo wal-mart). When I start the bike, with the choke on (high idle), the voltage climbs all the way to 18v. then I cut the choke off and the voltage drops with the rpm, to 13.5 and no matter where I rev it from there it doesn't go higher than 14.5. Well when I got home last night I started it, voltage climbed to 18 volts and I could smell the electrolite. I killed the bike and could hear the electrolite boiling in the battery. WTF I went in and called Electrex tech support and a tech is supposed to be calling me back, but I thought I'd tap into the support here. Ideas?

Oh I've pulled and cleaned the grounds also.

18V on the bus is the classic symptom of regulator failure. It isn't regulating. You'll notice all kinds of things happening, like the battery boiling that you mentioned, as well as little things like bulbs blowing, etc. It typically doesn't affect ignition components.

Replace that regulator again, it's defective....unless your connectors are shot.

Could the battery be at fault? I agree with the R/R not regulating, though I'm curious to hear what electrex has to say too, they've got a 1 year warranty on their stuff... The connectors amazed me at how clean they were, look brand new. No distorted plastic, burned nothing, the contacts are still bright and shiny even.

Could the battery be at fault? I agree with the R/R not regulating, though I'm curious to hear what electrex has to say too, they've got a 1 year warranty on their stuff... The connectors amazed me at how clean they were, look brand new. No distorted plastic, burned nothing, the contacts are still bright and shiny even.

You're chasing the symptom, and not the problem.

The battery is now a problem due to being cooked by overvoltage. You should never see anything higher than 14.5V from a properly working regulator. It is the stator's job to provide a high AC voltage (three phase) to the regulator. This is because a higher voltage means a smaller current through those stator wires, which leads to smaller resistive losses (i.e. heat) through the wire. This is the same principle as to why your local power company runs 14,000 volts down your street, but is only stepped down to 220/110 right outside your house on the pole.

So you've done the right thing by measuring input/output voltages around the regulator, but the fried battery is a result of the regulator, and not a cause unto itself in this case.

The Electrex folks should understand the situation once you've provided the clear facts that you've gathered, and they should <koff koff> rectify the situation for you by providing a new regulator for you.

Keep an eye on that battery. It may now be toast.

Used to have a VFR and had the RR fail. The VFR list guys had lots of trouble with Electrex RR's. For a while they would not even sell the RR for the VFR. Buy one of the new OEM RR's. Much heavier duty now.

MikeG

I'm considering doing that, the electrex is supposed to be the shit now, but I'm not impressed. Started the bike again last night and it started climbing again, when it hit 16v I shut it down. I'm goig to send them an email today.....Never heard from them yesterday.

Still have not heard from Electrex, never called me back, never returned my email. I called again today and left a message on their answering machine. At this point in time I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM. Getting progressively pissed :evil: