CBR1100XX.org Forum

Forget underseat - UnderBODY exhaust?

Furious

I'm sure most of you have seen the underbody exhaust that Kaw is using on their new 650. Has anyone thought of trying this approach with the Bird?

I'm not an exhaust expert, obviously. It just seems that a lot of people are interested in underseat. If you're going to go to the trouble, it seems like it would be easier to to fit something directly under the body. I would think that it would be even better positioned with consideration to handling.

122205side2.jpg

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone tried it?

Eh Byrdman,

Your setup looks good. How does it sound? Also- how does it feel with the exhaust coming out under your foot? What does a passenger feel?

AND- does someone make a slip on that fits there?

Thanks for any info.

Jeff...that is so clean. I wish FSB had them on when he rode with us...I wanted to hear them. I would love to do the same thing on mine, but don't want the exhaust super annoyingly loud...just annoyingly loud.

-Rick

Can someone explain to me the difference between cans and internal baffling on straight pipes?

That looks like a totally unmuffled pipe on the XX above. I bet its loud as hell and not to good for the engine either.

Is there enough room in the belly pan of the XX to fit some type of muffler with a dual exhaust port?

Byrdman's setup is exactly what I was thinking about visually, but I have the same questions as a lot of you with regard to sound, passenger comfort, and how the engine responds to it.

I think it's awesome just to know that it can and HAS been done.

Byrdman, post more details!

I don't think that an under body system would work all that good on the bird. The header primaries are too long and there isn't enough room for a good muffler under there. If you shorten the primaries, you'll move the powerband up in the RPM range and mess up the torque curve.