CBR1100XX.org Forum

Delinking a Blackbird.

Red J

Pics to follow, and I will elaborate, but my setup is:

TSR front bracket for stock fork-mounted master cylinder removal.

Galfer dual line kit

CB400SF brake master cylinder / F4i brake lever

Stock calipers drilled, front and rear, to connect middle piston to outers.

Plugs in all three calipers for middle piston.

Single stock rear brake line

Unrelated:

Carbone Lorraine brake pads, front and rear.

Post yours.

321ignition de-link bracket.

BSR lines (came with the 321 kit)

CB400SF brake master cylinder and lever (all you need is the perch. I swapped actual levers as mine is powdercoated black)

Drilled and plugged front calipers, rear is stock run on one line. (only using outer two pistons, it's plenty, IMO)

EBC HH on all three calipers.

I'll get some more photos up later today.

36814299.jpg

In this photo the wire passes through the passage you're drilling into-

36805142.jpg

Thanks for the pics.

Just for a little further explanation...

The center caliper bore is not as deep as the side ones. If you look into the bores on either side, you cann see the hole(passage) where the fluid enters the side bores...these 2 holes are in line and the passage runs under the center bore. I just lined up the side passages and drilled a hole in the center bore to connect to the passage underneath.

I had to special order the socket head bolts and cut them shorter, to use as plugs for the now not needed banjo connection point on the caliper...using left over washers from the delink.

De-link bracket and Ti bolt plugging original inlet for center piston-

54788608.jpg

CB400SF brake master cylinder. The only difference in appearance from stock is that threaded tab for a mirror on the right side-

54788610.jpg

What size bolt do I need to plug the unused inlet and where are you guys ordering them from?

10mm x 1.25 (fine). Can't recall for sure, but I believe it needs to be <15mm in length.

I'll see if I can find a link. I looked at so many places for one short enough I can't remember where I finally ordered from. I did end up having to cut them down, though.

After you drill the rear caliper, the hard part is bleeding it completely of air!

With the hole drilled in the position shown you have to remov and manually rotate the caliper to get all of the air out. When the brake pistone are facing the ground, all of the air in the center bore will go to the top and will evacuate throught he hole.

Just something to keep in mind when bleeding the system.

That mirror mount looks like a marvelous place for a new FMP. (Farkle Mounting Point)

Same thing occured to me the second I saw it. Sadly, it comes fairly close to the windscreen at full left lock, not much would fit in the space available.

After you drill the rear caliper, the hard part is bleeding it completely of air!

With the hole drilled in the position shown you have to remov and manually rotate the caliper to get all of the air out. When the brake pistone are facing the ground, all of the air in the center bore will go to the top and will evacuate throught he hole.

Just something to keep in mind when bleeding the system.

In my experience, not any different than stock. Still use both bleeders.

J.

Better?

54800624.jpg

Travis, the 321igniton kit works great, but if you source a bracket somewhere else or use the fork mounted master cylinder itself, you can pretty much de-link for the cost of a couple brake lines and possibly a new front master.

If I had it to do over again my setup would be homebrew.

A guy I used to be built one from aluminum that was damn near the TSR mount, and he built it for around 60 bucks, paying for waterjetting, milling and anodizing. I recall he said he did batch it with some pair valve covers, so the anodizing could be more expensive.

Personally, if I didn't have access to the TSR bling, I'd just do the double bolt method. It's free.

Then you have the lines, and of course the master.

I will probably be selling the TSR bracket at some point this spring.

J.

As far as the double bolt method, I guess I was wrong in calling it that. It's really a double nut or more accurately, jam nut. Redbird knows more, I think. Someone on here's done it, but I can't remember who. I thought it was Porter, but obviously it's not.

Maybe Tim knows, or maybe the mystery man will pipe up.

Whohoo! Page 2!

J.

Jeff (Byrdman) did it.

It involved disassembling the master and putting a solid bolt inside to make it rigid, I believe. He'll have details.

For the record, I may actually moderate a bit in this thread. If we can manage to keep on topic and cover common delinking question without going to 18 pages this one might be worth saving in the important and useful threads section when we're done.

Good idea, J.

ok looked at my bike this morning...can you just run 2 lines from the reservoir/master cylinder to the 2 front calipers and then just a single line from the rear reservoir/master cylinder to the rear caliper? then just pull all the factory lines off the bike....if not what am i missing.....

also....the 600rr....tlr and few other bikes use a 10x22 banjo bolt.....so could i find a cheap dual line set from one of these bikes to replace the front lines??? if not why not..

J. I did a hand drawing with dimensions of the TSR bracket and had it tranfered to AutoCad. I have that .dwg file here. I was going to get with Rickrad to make the bracket and offer a kit, but we never did . I maybe a few thousands off here or there as I measured with a dial caliper but it should be close.

You interested in trying it out?

I also have the line lengths around here somewhere

As far as the double bolt method, I guess I was wrong in calling it that. It's really a double nut or more accurately, jam nut. Redbird knows more, I think. Someone on here's done it, but I can't remember who. I thought it was Porter, but obviously it's not.

Maybe Tim knows, or maybe the mystery man will pipe up.

Whohoo! Page 2!

J.

ok looked at my bike this morning...can you just run 2 lines from the reservoir/master cylinder to the 2 front calipers and then just a single line from the rear reservoir/master cylinder to the rear caliper? then just pull all the factory lines off the bike.........

Yes, you've got the idea.

ok so will a 2 line kit of any bike that uses 10x22 banjo bolts work then....

No. There's the angle of the banjo fittings and the length of the line to consider. If you look at your bike you'll notice that most of the banjo fittings have a bit of a kink to them. Wrong angle or no angle will complicate the fitting or render it impossible.

Stick with lines made for the XX, or customs.