CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tech help with clock woes

Ant

My ANALOGUE clocks aren't the right ones! My '99 XX should have the DIGITAL Speedometer! :shock:

However, I can't find any clocks anywhere in the world! (BTW I'm in Thailand). :(

So, does anyone know if these clocks can be made to work on this bike?

The fuel gauge, temp gauge, indicator lights etc all work fine - just the revcounter and speedometer - are the connections fundamentally different?

Any Techies out there who can help?

Much thanks in anticipation.

Guest rockmeupto125

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but I'll try this answer.

The digital gauges can be used in place of the analog gauges. They fit perfectly and plug right in, except for the temp gauge sender which needs to be changed.

You'll find them in bike scrapyards and on dealer's shelves.

This is true in the US. Your mileage may vary, as there may be different connectors on the harness for something the government of the country you are in decided was necessary for this motorcycle. No promises.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Basically, I have analogue clocks on my bike, but I should have the digital ones, with the LCD windows. (Please don't ask how.)

So, can I make the analogue clocks (non LCD version) work with my bike? And, what do I need to do with the wiring to get them working?

I've looked everywhere (on the internet) to find the LCD instruments to no avail, so I'd like to get these to work in case I never find any!

Because at the moment I haven't got a clue how quick I'm going! I'm in Thailand however, where speeding doesn't seem to be an issue!

Cheers!

If I'm understading you correctly, you currently have analog clocks on your '99, which don't work?

You are also under the impression that your bike, a '99, should have digital (LCD) gauges from the factory? And you think the "stock" LCD gauges on yours were replaced with analog for some reason?

Assuming all those assumtions are correct, I can tell you this-

'99 models come with analog gauges.

If you look for LCD gauges for a '99, you're not going find any.

If your analog gauges don't work, normal electrical troubleshooting applies, there's no conversion involved.

We (North Americans) are secure in the knowledge that the world revolves around us. In the case of the CBR1100xx that is not necessarily so. Several model change features appear in the European versions BEFORE we got them here. Ebay is a source for either type of clocks. Usually they have a broken mounting tab or two but I see them occasionally for $100 or so U.S.

Thanks Clinton,

The bike was imported from Japan (apparently in parts to avoid the horrendous duty here) and (re)assembled.

Why buy it when the clocks don't work you ask? Well, it's still awesome regardless :)

Not too sure now thought which clocks it should have :?

From what everyone's saying, I may well be able to get the in situ clocks working. The only problem (here anyway) is finding a shop who could sort it out. I'll probably have to sort it out myself but just don't want to fuck the electrics up altogether. :lol:

I'll keep checking on Ebay too mate.

Thanks again.

Just a thought, any Bike electricians fancy a cheap holiday in Bangkok? Stay at my house free for a week and help out? Just a thought! :lol:

I will look here on e-bay for you. try the UK version too. Several guys here have successfully converted from analog to digital. I have analog and I prefer them. Just old school I guess. Rockmeupto125 is a regular on this board and stockpiles parts. Jaws is another guy in the UK. They have done lots of favors for folks here.They might be able to help. Working clocks might just inhibit your riding. You can legitimately say you did not have a clue how fast you were going.

Sorry, I have no electrical skills. Some of these guys put resistors in their looms to convert sending units and all kinds of stuff. You just have to include nude pictures or beer facts in your posts to gain their interest.

Well, the temp and petrol gauges work fine and all the indicator lights too. But the Revcounter and Speedo are both defunct. I've had a rummage around behind the clocks and found an un-connected set of cables, at the end of which was a small 2cm x 2cm PCB, which was dangling around loose. Call me superstitious, but I had a funny feeling this might have had something to do with it.

I'm going to check out the manuals I downloaded to see if I can identify the bit I'm talking about. If it is the cable for the clocks, then it appears that the "plug" bit may be missing.

Does this mean anything to anyone?

Cheers again everyone for the ongoing help.