CBR1100XX.org Forum

Wiring loom preventative maintenance

Alpha Crow

Haven't had issues with the wiring loom yet, though I read the posts on it and studied the problem so I can identify if/when if does (probably when :) ). Would it be wise to invert the loom or turn it on it's side so the moisture does not build up in the low point and cause problems in the future? Or is it better to take all the tape off and clean the hell out of it and try to seal it up better with some water proofing?

Appreciate opinions/advice

After hearing all about the potential (moisture) issues with the wiring loom connector (specifically the one near the regulator/rectifier) on the '99s, I thoroughly inspected the culprit but found nothing amiss. As a proactive gesture, I cut up some old inner tube rubber and wrapped the connector and the adjacent wiring loom (for several inches), and snugged everything with plastic wire-ties. It's a seemingly waterproof application (tested with misting bottle and low pressure garden hose) that should work in the anticipated riding environment. We'll see...

8)

Not a USA Spec Bird Problem.

Was fairly common with the Euro models tho.

Anyone that was at NEXXT saw me have a similar problem going to the Drag Strip. Turned out to be the connection between the PC2 and the ECM.

Unplugged and cleaned with contact cleaner and coated with electro grease and no more problems.

My bet is the only thing to watch would be the corrosion at the connectors.

If it looks green then clean and grease it