CBR1100XX.org Forum

Customizing Stock Exhaust,,need advice !!

Tom Braithwaite

:shock: :idea:

Got an idea to take the original stainless muffler cans and chop off about 5in from the ends at about a 45 dgree angle. Rebuild the insides for a semi-quiet but throwty sound.

Could I get a good clean cut on a band saw or would a plasma cutter be better.

Any ideas on where I could take this to have it cut ??

Do not use a plasma cutter! The edge will look like ass and stainless isn't fun to work with.

A band saw, an industrial band saw with a fixture table will be best. The cut will be relatively clean and the insides will hopefully stay in place long enough for the cut.

I would say a place that does a bunch of stainless work would be best. A place that makes food handling equipment will specialize in stainless fab.

Might get some help from this Link

I would think a chop saw would be easier than the plasma, just because the plasma has to contact the metal and would be hard to make a straight cut on a round 3D object.

Good luck and keep us posted :D

if you had the right tools, couldn't you drill down through the exhaust outlet through the plate next to A1 giving gases and noise a more direct route to the exit, crude i know but the effect might be interesting.......nothing ventured nothing gained.

Fer chrissake leave it alone. There are already too many places that have banned bikes altoghther due to noise. (Been out to Hilton Head iIsland lately? or Monteray?) This is mostly due to our HD and the like riding bretheren but we don't need to contribute to the problem. I have no trouble hearing the exhaust on my bike even over ear budds with music going. What is the need for more noise.

It's so bad here in S. Fla that it woudn't surprise me to see the town of Palm Beach ban motorcycles from certain roads at certain times. I frequent a pleasant outdoor dinging restaurant over there and the frowns on the faces of the patrons (can you say rich and influential) as another herd of flatulant bikes go by and stop all conversation has to be seen to be believed.

You wanna go faster? Take a riding school and make everything you ride faster. Leave the noise behind. Step away from the saws.

/rant

Guest rockmeupto125

Tom...you might be better off buying some slashcut aftermarket mufflers and adapting them to the purpose. Once you open the back of the muffler, its essentially a straight through pipe (except for a mesh screen). The last (most rearward chamber of the four sections of the muffler) receives exhaust fresh from the inlet (first chamber) before its channeled back to the 2nd and 3rd chambers, and then throught the pipe that is the outlet. Considering the work involved, it seems a fool's errand, or at best a substitute for beer, TV, and RC cars, which I can't imagine wouldn't be more enjoyable than sawing an exhaust can apart.

Our overseas brothers bring you this information, BTW.

http://www.bikersoracle.com/jaws/exhaust.htm

I frequent a pleasant outdoor dinging restaurant over there and the frowns on the faces of the patrons (can you say rich and influential) as another herd of flatulant bikes go by and stop all conversation has to be seen to be believed.

Why are bikes not treated like cars when it comes to noise? If run around with a big hole in your car's muffler, you will get a ticket. I often wonder that when a hardly comes past the house shaking the picture on my wall.

Guest rockmeupto125

Problem is the Harleys (which seem to be the greatest, but not only scofflaws in this regard), actually have enough power to pull themselves around without using too much rpm and noise. So they can tone it down a bit when the man is around, and open it up to annoy at other times. There's a real reason they call it the "loud handle."

Problem is the Harleys (which seem to be the greatest, but not only scofflaws in this regard), actually have enough power to pull themselves around without using too much rpm and noise.  So they can tone it down a bit when the man is around, and open it up to annoy at other times.  There's a real reason they call it the "loud handle."

Yep, more effect on volume than actual motion on most of them. I'm pretty sure there is an inverse relationship between db level and peins size although I don't plan on any indepth investigation.

:arrow: Thanks for the input guys...

I used to build street rods (spare time long ago) and have done a number of exhaust systems,,headers etc.

My purpose is not to wake up the dead with lots of noise...I hate that, too.

I just want a little more rumble (slight) and less bulky looking exhaust mufflers.

To me,,,,the mufflers look way too big and bulky. Guess it is something I will have to deal with. I will take a few pics and put it into my photoshop and airbrush them till I get the look I want....

I have always loved the look of the Conti mufflers that used to be available for the old airhead BMW's. They sounded great too. Looonnng taper megaphone with a slight reverse at the end.

They would have to be super sized to handle the flow requirements of a motor of the Bird's output but I betcha the would look sweet.

A good fab shop could roll the cones for you, internally, I would go with a series of chambers ala the old Corvette side pipes, some quaility quartz wool packing around the outside more to prevent ringing than anything else and a set of nice, machined, SS or aluminum end caps that followed the rounded reverse taper shape. They could be made to look almost delicate. Might still be a bit harsh on the ears though. :(

Got any pics...I can't picture them.

Don't you agree it,,,it would be nice to see and hear something different on a BB??!!

I was even trying to figure something as a takoff on the exhaust out the backside of the SR71...but I can't quite figure it.

My only fear is showing up at one of the BB events with a radically different set of exhaust. I can just here the shouts of "Billy Bob,,,GO HOME" !!

:D:lol::D

Did anyone listen to the soundfile attached to that web site? I don't know what those things were fitted to, but it ended up sounding like an old Flat Head Ford to me. I.E: Crappy. That has to be one of the farthest out ideas I have ever seen. Wacky. :scratchhead: