CBR1100XX.org Forum

F.I question??

WHENDEATHCOMES

my fuel injection light is coming on and the bike is running way rich when i start it it barely wants to idle and then almost dies but suddenly the computer like tries to reset itself or something and the F.I. light comes on and it starts running smoother but still runs way rich,pops and blows flames out the tail pipe on decelaration.. i had it dyoned one day for the hell of it and the guy said the fuel air mixture was way off. (GO FIGURE) he said a power commmander wouldnt help it.. it still pulled a modest 132.5hp running like crap.. wich pissed some litre bike owners off who could only muster 130 on finely tuned bikes . im going to take it in to the dealership but i thought i would just check with u guys first.. i expect its gona cost me $$$$ no matter what.. and i thought the damn bike was bullet proof shesh

Remote diagnostics are difficult on something like this at best.

Could be your air or water temperature sensors gone bad or come unplugged. If the FI light is coming on, it has probably set a code which you should be able to access. Check the workshop manual for how and what each of the codes means. That will be the first step the dealer takes and you can save that labor. Ditto on replacement of the sensors. The air temp sensor is likely in either the air box or the snorkel and the water temp sensor will be screwed into something on the motor. Both should be cake to replace with a mild PITA for the water temp thing as you will likely need to drain the coolant.

Download the shop manual (if you haven't already) and read through section 5 (PGM-FI self diagnostic procedures). Work carefully through the troubleshooting steps and the bike may literally tell you what's wrong. And it may be as simple and cheap a fix as cleaning and reseating a dirty or loose connector.

Download the shop manual (if you haven't already) and read through section 5 (PGM-FI self diagnostic procedures). Work carefully through the troubleshooting steps and the bike may literally tell you what's wrong. And it may be as simple and cheap a fix as cleaning and reseating a dirty or loose connector.

+1 Great info on how to test the FI light for faults.

The dealership will do the same as what you can do with regards to testing for the fault with regards to the FI light shining.

I think I've heard those symptoms before...

sounds like your Fuel pressure regulate is going or gone.

Just a guess.

When my fuel pressure regulator went, the FI light did not come on, but gas came out of the exhaust.

If you raise the tank and pull the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator with the key on, no fuel should come out the vacuum line.