CBR1100XX.org Forum

need some help

kg4fku

How do you check a regulator. What are the readings I should be seeing on the meter. Oh this is not on my bird its on a honda rebel. trying to help a buddy out. thanks guys

ok let me give you the whole problem maybe I can get some better answers. But I'd still like to know what the reading should be.

The bike keeps blowing the main fuse. I've traced it to either a short in the r/r or a short in the key switch. If anyone would like a closer look at the schematic here is the link

http://www.surfmaine.com/rebel/manuals/cly...al-diagram.html

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this problem. This thing is so simple in it's wiring that its kicking my butt. Oh if this helps I think it could possibly be the starter as well as it seems to drag slightly when disengaging. I haven't been around when a fuse has blown although I see it shortly afterwards in my garage again.

thanks

I had a similar problem with the Accord. I was blowing fuses every day. Found out that the horn was toast and was shorting the wires.. thrus killing the fuse.

You might have a short in the starter or something else. Have you tried waiting till it dies? Might be a stinking smell or some kind of electrical short you could hear (or smell)

It's only a 15A fuse. A lot of things will blow this fuse. Unfortunately, the schematic is typically unreadable, as once you follow the lead to the ignition switch, who knows where it goes after that?

I would discount the starter motor as the culprit. There is a direct connection to the battery for that purpose, the 15A fuse doesn't come into play. It's something downstream of there.

Does the bike run without that fuse there? It appears that the fuse connects the output of the R/R to the battery to equal the main positive bus. I would unplug the R/R and see if the fuse still blows.

When I worked at a TV repair shop, when we had a fuse blowing problem with a set, we'd substitute an equivalent value circuit breaker for the fuse. It allows you to troubleshoot without blowing a fuse each time. Not sure if 12V breakers exist....but worth a look.

you have to look at the jumpers on the switch in the schematic. I know it has to be one of the worst schematics I've ever seen. Thanks Honda. But if you look at the jumpers on the switch block itself you can trace it out. It took me a little while to figure it out but it works. Thanks for the help so far. I'll try that.