CBR1100XX.org Forum

Air filter opinions pleeze!

sandman

Is there a general agreement on air filters for our bikes? I have an injected '00 titanium, no engine or exhaust mods- stock, time for a replacement filter. I've had good luck with K&N in the past, others are out there now, but not sure if available for our bikes.

Do most just go with a stock Honda paper replacement, or aftermarket these days? Is it the usual deal where you can get a reusable K&N for the price of one Honda paper element? TIA...

Is it the usual deal where you can get a reusable K&N for the price of one Honda paper element? TIA...

Almost, definitely cheaper than two OEM filters.

FWIW, I've had a K&N for almost 4 years now, with no issues.

I'm using a DNA filter, cheaper than K&N, but 2x the price of 1x OEM Filter.

Got this for cost saving during services, and not so much for any potential power gains.

Cost on a OEM filter = +- USD 71.00

Cost on DNA filter = +- USD 118.00 - 100 000 km lifespan +-62 000 miles

Cost on K&N Filter = +- USD 206.00 - 100 000 km lifespan

Pricing is only applicable in South Africa.

We get ripped way too much on bikes, accessories and parts.

Hey Articflipper here is a site don't know if it will help or what restrictions they have for out of country shipments. but much cheaper than you are paying. www.proformanceusa.com/KN/honda.asp the price for pre 99 part # HA1197 52.23 US, after 99 HA 1199 50.83. I got my KN through them fast shipping was at my door in less than aweek.

I live in Californiastan, and our air quality laws are so tight, that the air is almost *too* clean as it is.

That said, I don't run an air filter. What am I stopping from entering my carbs?? Squirrels?

The air here is so clean, in fact, it's illegal to fart in public :D

Hey "Shon", j/k :lol:

Many years back in my misspent youth, I was working with a sports car racing team. they had just started using air filters. No one else was using filters then. If you look at all the old indy and lemans cars of the 70's and earlier you'll see the air intakes for each carb throat out in the open.

The wear in a race engine is often measured by doing a "leak down" test, this is a way of measuring how good the rings and valves are sealing. This is similar to a compression test. As rings and valves wear the engine will develop less power as compression is lost.

After this team started using air filters, the engine wear after a weekend of use was about 1/3 of what it previously had been. True, this is only wear in those areas that determine performance, and is not going to affect bearing wear in the crankcase where the oil system controls lubrication.

I'd use a filter.

Mike

Theres no chance of talking any sense in to K9XX. He's as stubborn as a mule. He's convinced he's putting out at least 5 HP more than me just because I use a filter. He may be putting a little more out than me but after his engine goes I'll smoke him. :)

He's actually got a screen over the intake to keep squirrels and birds out. Don't think he's totally clueless.

I was kidding.

I forgot, kidding is supposed to stay in the Pub, terribly sorry.

I use a K&N as well. Clean and re-oil once a year, unless I go through some major dust storm or something.

Sorry for being silly :(

For the most part, a K&N won't flow any more air than a clean paper filter and it's filter efficiency is somewhat less. The payback time on the reusable filter is much longer than most folks keep their motorcycles. Want to test to see if you need a higher flow air filter? Simple enough. When you install a new filter, cover at least 50% of the fliter's surface with Saran Wrap. Take the bike to your local performance venue and make a pass. Remove Saran Wrap and repeat. If no change, you don't need a higher flow filter.

K&N has done a really good job of marketing their product what with saturation level advertising and contingency awards. The one thing they never publish though is back to back dyno runs. Ever wonder why?

I was kidding.

I forgot, kidding is supposed to stay in the Pub, terribly sorry.

I use a K&N as well.  Clean and re-oil once a year, unless I go through some major dust storm or something.  

Sorry for being silly :(

Hey Sean, I'm all for "Catch and release" but if you don't play'em for a little while what's the fun?

Sandman,

Like Joe said,

I think there's a general agreement that we have air filters, yes. And we should continue to have them.

I seem to remember seeing a link here where someone compared the stock, K&N and another aftermarket filter with the end result being that unless you are really building a motor and trying to squeeze out every last 1/4 horsepower the only advantage of a K&N is that you get a nifty little sticker with it.

You're better off spending your money on upgrading the brakes and suspension.

Disclaimer:

I'm not a doctor but I play one with DBLXX. Any opinions expressed here are stictly my own and should be treated with the appropriate grain of salt and/or as outright bullshit.

Using the portion that has been in contact with her box may yield some advantage in filtration, depending on her state of mind at the time the hose were removed.

If the rest of the bike has not been modified to take advantage of any (minute) increase in flow, there will be nothing gained by even removal of the filter. You certainly will decrease the life of rings and maybe valves depending on what the motor inhales.

I change air filters on all my bikes at around the 24K mark. Living in S. Fla with all the blowing sand around here it just pays. Of course, I'm a big believer in stock exhaust systems as well. At least for a street bike. There are too many places we can't ride anymore due to loud pipes. I hate seeing it grow.

I've got a carbed bike. I tried a K&N once. It ran pretty bad at higher rev's so I figured no problem, I'll get it jetted. Before messing with jets I went for another ride, that time about 4000 feet higher (in the mountains). The bike really ran a whole lot worse there. It pretty much fell on it's face when I got on it. That pretty much told me the stock filter allowed more air flow. Granted, the K&N was new and I've heard folks say they come over oiled. I sent the K&N back and have used stock ever since. In my experience the XX is the only machine I've owned that came with a less restrictive air filter than a K&N.

For the most part, a K&N won't flow any more air than a clean paper filter and it's filter efficiency is somewhat less.  The payback time on the reusable filter is much longer than most folks keep their motorcycles.  Want to test to see if you need a higher flow air filter?  Simple enough.  When you install a new filter, cover at least 50% of the fliter's surface with Saran Wrap.  Take the bike to your local performance venue and make a pass.  Remove Saran Wrap and repeat.  If no change, you don't need a higher flow filter.

K&N has done a really good job of marketing their product what with saturation level advertising and contingency awards.  The one thing they never publish though is back to back dyno runs.  Ever wonder why?

For the most part this is totall Bull and should be disreegarded. I especially would NOT recomend starving your Mototr of Air with a piece of Saran wrap.

And the reason you have never seen a Dyno back to back is becasue the power increase is minimal.... the major advantage is in the reusability. And considering the amount of road dust around here in the spring.... I make up made my money back real quick.

I've got a carbed bike.  I tried a K&N once.  It ran pretty bad at higher rev's so I figured no problem, I'll get it jetted.  Before messing with jets I went for another ride, that time about 4000 feet higher (in the mountains).  The bike really ran a whole lot worse there.  It pretty much fell on it's face when I got on it.  That pretty much told me the stock filter allowed more air flow.  Granted, the K&N was new and I've heard folks say they come over oiled.  I sent the K&N back and have used stock ever since.  In my experience the XX is the only machine I've owned that came with a less restrictive air filter than a K&N.

Sorry bub, but your deduction was backwards.

The reason your bike ran worse at the Higher RPM's and at the Higher altitude was because you were starving for fuel... not air.

The stock air cleaner Doesn't flow more air than a K&N.

I put a K&N on a 97 once... then I had to put BIGGER JETS in it. to get more fuel.

As for my opinion....

I second this statement...

I think there's a general agreement that we have air filters, yes.  And we should continue to have them.

That's some funny shit, Leaveit to Joe to point out the obvious. :lol:

and will add....

I've run a K&N for years now, and love it, it's probably saved me the cost of 8 filters by now.

But one thing to remember is... with a K&N you have to... include it in your regular maintenance.