CBR1100XX.org Forum

rc51 rims??????????

Mitch_1100xx

is it possable to throw a set of RC51 rims on the bird. ide like to throw a wider stickier tire on it, plus i like the look of the rc rims more then the stock bird rims. i was wondering if anybody on here had any insight on this subject. plus if anyone has a bike with a 190 or 200 series tire on it i wouldnt mind seeing it and getting some comments on how they like it. thanx alot guys.

The wider tire and rim will not really improve handling unless you are already riding off the edges of your current tires. In fact, it will make for slower and more tippy feel to the turn in. The geometry of the bike is pretty well set for the tires that are on there.

If you really are riding hard enough to feel the need for more traction at the rear you can go to a softer compound rear tire, at the expense of milage, of course. Stick an M1 on the back or your favorite brand of sticky rubber and you will be more than pleased unless you are riding well out of the margin a sane street rider should maintain.

lol no the reason i need it is cuz my bike is streatched there for no longer wheelies and all the power is still there and the rear goes nuts, im also suppose to have a NX nitrous system coming in. the only way to get the grip is have a wider tire but at the same time not a tire that is to wide and creats small serfice area per lbs. which the idealy would be a sticky 200.

is it possable to throw a set of RC51 rims on the bird

No. It might be made to work, but they will not be a direct swap. I'd guess it'd become pretty complicated before all was said and done, if it's even possible. Spacers, axle diameter, chain offset, shit like that.

OK, got a look at the avatar.

Probably your best bet is gonna be to go for a new rear wheel. Check out RC Components. You are gonna need at least a 6" rim and maybe a 6.5 to get the 200 into the shape you want.

That may well bring on other problems in re chain clearance to tire and tire clearance within the swing arm although with that stretched arm that might not be an issue.

I'm not down at the bike right now but I'm not sure how much front sprocket offset the stock frame will accept. If that becomes the limiting factor you can always play with rear wheel spacers and the like to get the chain in line. A little, up to say 1/2", offset of the wheel center line will not grossly bother the straight line stability up to 180 or so.

iif i go new rims and hypothetically wanted to get the biggest tire possable i could fit about 200 worth of tire as it is. there is about an hlf inch on either side. one inch is about 2.3 cm which is 230 mm so truthfully i could even fit somthing bigger.. clearance is fine no issue there its just the sides i dont wanna make spacers uneven thats no good.

1 inch = 2.54cm or 25.4 millimeters, but that just means more room than you thought.

Pretty sure the chain will be a problem before the swingarm, if that's what you're looking at. I want a smoke anyway, I'll go look.........

iif i go new rims and hypothetically wanted to get the biggest tire possable i could fit about 200 worth of tire as it is. there is about an hlf inch on either side. one inch is about 2.3 cm which is 230 mm so truthfully i could even fit somthing bigger.. clearance is fine no issue there its just the sides i dont wanna make spacers uneven thats no good.

wow, no wonder you and the europeans can't build aircraft together.

redbird got it right, but no way does 2.3cm = 230mm. You are looking at about 50mm total for an inch on both sides. ie, including clearance (40mm) you might get away with a 220 rear but that's it.

This one is easy, measure from the edge of the tire to the chain. That's the maximum clearance you have without going to an offset sprocket or shaving the edge of the tire.

Moving the wheel off center, within reason, won't hurt a thing so you could play with spacers if needed.

hahahaha

srry mistype lol 23mm hahahahahahahaahha

i was thinking about the max tire that could probably squeeze but that would be touching chain and brake for sure. i went out and looked. the max is a 200. what im wondering is if the whole rim is bigger or if it is only it is the lip that gets bigger.

the clearence you guys have and what i have is waaaaaayyyyyyyy different. my bike is 2.5 inch lower. but my tire is back way further. and i have no undertail, or at least one that causes a problem any longer.

i appologise ahead of time, for the lack of this pic being old. i will post a good one in the spring when i get the rest done. everything that is polishable is now polised, minus frame, im suppose to have an NX kit on it by now but the ppl doing it are fukin slow like you cant believe, and its suppose to be getting paint early next month.

mybikeslammedandstreached1ly.jpg

big enough!!?? :lol:

I've just completed putting RC51 wheels on mine and I can tell you there is a substantial amount of machine work required just to make the rear wheel fit. You'd be a lot better off just buying aftermarket wheels, like the RC components. For most people it wouldn't be worth the effort to make them fit. I decided to do it because I converted to the RC51 forks and also wanted to change to the RC brakes and wheels as well.

Largest rim/tire you can get on a stock swingarm is a 6.25 with a 190. I have run that and the tires within a cunthair of hitting the chain.

RC or PM are the ticket if you want to spend a shitload of $$.

I may be selling a set of RC51 wheels if your interested. I actually need to unload 2 sets of RC51 wheels so I can get a set of aluminums for my race bike.

thanx, man.

:D

hey how much do you want for those wheels, pm me if you want with your location and price im shopping around now.

ide love if you could post a pic with the big rear tire. what did that end up costing if you dont mind me asking and if you could post what is needed that would be great. ide love to know what im gutting into.

just need to say that I'm running a 200 tire on my stock wheel and had no problem with it. And I have a lot more grap on the drag strip

Maybe more straight line traction but the stock wheel is too narrow for a 200 section tire. It will pull the tire out of shape and the increased side wall deflection will result in some very bad behavior at the traction limits while leaned over. Can you say, high side? That tire will let go quicker than all get out in the twisties.

BTW, since the resulting mismatch in tire/wheel width has probably resulted in a more rounded profile, your traction gain is more likely from compound than anything else.

I would say that I dont see any change of shape on the tire. on the leand over limits it has a little change but to say the truth I dont see that mutch of change because I can still scratch the cans maibe not like I did before but still go down very well and since were talking drag strip , I would say that the compound is not the reason for traction because Im runing a MAXIS 200 tire and the tire compound is pretty hard. I'll check the tire description and let you guys on it .

Heres the 6.25 w/ a 190. Its the only picture I have from the rear.

52509565.jpg

I'm selling the RC51 wheels for $500 a set w/o rotors.

where abouts you from i might be interested in the rims but i gotta know what else is involved to get them on. lol are those bad boys chromed or polished, i think i see some shine there and if thats the case i might really be interested.

I have 6.25 PM's on it now.

The RC wheels are off my 2 other bikes. Stock wheels, 1st set to go is black and from what I hear its alot of work to install on a XX. New bearings with different size races to fit the XX axles. I dont know if the brake rotors are the same either.

I'm in Nor Cal.

This is my XX from the side.

42774094.jpg