CBR1100XX.org Forum

Helibar Questions

Mikesblackbird

I picked up a set of Helibars for my xx. I matched them up on the bike and there doesn't seem to be really any difference - not the 1 5/8" taller, 1" rearward and 1" wider - than what is on the bike. I checked with the PO and he says the bars on the bike are "stock". It is a 97. Is there anyway to tell whether they're Honda OEM or aftermarket bars?

I don't want to go through the change if there is very little difference. Thanks.

Mine came with a set of Heli bars on it, as well as a Corbin GL seat and Gilles rear sets. I just got the package from the dealer with all the stock stuff. Once I'm done with laundry, I'm gonna give the stock seat a try. The Corbin is comfy but too wide in the thigh area while stopped and locks me too much into one position.

I'll put the stock bars back on as I feel the Heli bars have me too erect and up into the wind. There doesn't appear to be much more than an inch of difference between them but that can be a crucial inch. I notice the stock bars have a locating tang so they are more or less locked into one position. Not so with the Heli bars. I like to ba able to play with the lateral adjustment to get my wrist angles where I want them. Within reason, you can probably do whatever. Currently, on my bike, with the Heli bars, my hands get too close to the tank on full lock low speed stuff. Hopefully the stockers will correct for that.

No way I'm giving up those Gilles though. Really nice piece of work.

I got an early x-mas present today with temps in the mid 50's (eastern Pa), and I got a chance to try out the helibars. Intitially it didn't look like much of a change, but what a difference. For those who have been contemplating the switch, go ahead. It was worth the $150 that I paid. Much more comfortable. Also added the Renntec luggage rack and an el cheapo, gloss black top box and the bike is ready for the spring) or for tomorrow where the temp is suppose to be in the high 50's.

Merry x-mas to all.

I got an early x-mas present today with temps in the mid 50's (eastern Pa), and I got a chance to try out the helibars. Intitially it didn't look like much of a change, but what a difference. For those who have been contemplating the switch, go ahead. It was worth the $150 that I paid. Much more comfortable. Also added the Renntec luggage rack and an el cheapo, gloss black top box and the bike is ready for the spring) or for tomorrow where the temp is suppose to be in the high 50's.

Merry x-mas to all.

Where are you in Eastern PA? Update your location in your profile.

We'll have to get together for a ride 8)

• 3 months later...

Mine came with a set of Heli bars on it, as well as a Corbin GL seat and Gilles rear sets. I just got the package from the dealer with all the stock stuff. Once I'm done with laundry, I'm gonna give the stock seat a try. The Corbin is comfy but too wide in the thigh area while stopped and locks me too much into one position.

I'll put the stock bars back on as I feel the Heli bars have me too erect and up into the wind. There doesn't appear to be much more than an inch of difference between them but that can be a crucial inch. I notice the stock bars have a locating tang so they are more or less locked into one position. Not so with the Heli bars. I like to ba able to play with the lateral adjustment to get my wrist angles where I want them. Within reason, you can probably do whatever. Currently, on my bike, with the Heli bars, my hands get too close to the tank on full lock low speed stuff. Hopefully the stockers will correct for that.

No way I'm giving up those Gilles though. Really nice piece of work.

Ed,

I have the same gripe about having my hands too close to the tank while the steering is at full lock either left or right. The stockers may improve that situation a little bit being that they mount only one way with little to no adjustment, but I doubt it. You trashed one of your Helibars didn't you? On my bike, with 3/4" genmar risers, I still have the same complaint as you.

The PA contingent keeps growing!

I'm 30 miles north of Harrisburg, we all need to get together for a ride!

My bike came used with helibars, I didn't even know it for a month. I later went with VFR bars, they're higher and look better. You can also mount them about 3/4 in. higher up the fork tubes.

You can rotate them anywhere you want just don't have them hit the tank at full lock.

My bike came used with helibars, I didn't even know it for a month. I later went with VFR bars, they're higher and look better. You can also mount them about 3/4 in. higher up the fork tubes.

You can rotate them anywhere you want just don't have them hit the tank at full lock.

Pete would you say that the reach is like a VFR with the VFR bars on it or is it still a bit of a reach.

I'm looking at getting a XX but am concerned about the reach for the bars.