CBR1100XX.org Forum

Charging problems

Obby

For some time now I've had to charge the battery, say once every 2 weeks or so, now the systems not hardly charging at all. When I tested the voltage at the battery, it was putting out 12.5 with no change as I rev'd it up to 5k. Does anyone know if that means the reg/rec. is at fault or if it's the stator?

PS. The battery is a stock replacement Yuasa that is about 1.5 - 2 years old and takes and holds a full charge (seems to be ok).

Thanks,

Obby

Sounds like the stator, readings will typically be high, not low, when the R/R goes out.

That said, pull the tailpiece and perform the troubleshooting routine for both. My money is on the stator, but it's best to check.

My money is on the stator, but it's best to check.

My money is on the R/R.

I always bet against Mexicans :lol:

Sounds like the stator, readings will typically be high, not low, when the R/R goes out.

That said, pull the tailpiece and perform the troubleshooting routine for both. My money is on the stator, but it's best to check.

Says in the manual check all the yellow wires comming from the stator to be "nominal", anyone know how to check for that reading? Does that mean "0".

Says in my manual to check resistance between all the yellow wires, looking for 0.1- 1.0 ohms (@68 degrees F if you're gonna be anal)

Then check for continuity between the three yellow wires and ground, there should be no continuity.

Keep in mind this is a '99 and up manual. Wouldn't think that matters for this particular test, but just so you know.

I like the electrex troubleshooting chart. I used it (and a dash mounted voltmeter) to find my out my stator was going bad. It's a lot more thorough than the one in the manual, although some of the values are slightly different.

Be sure to let us know what you find, I'm going to want my $20 from a certain someone :lol:

Same symptoms I had on my '99.  Turned out to be the R/R, so I'm with Sean.  FWIW - the troubleshooting method in the shop manual didn't find the problem.  I had to go through the Electrix flowchart.

Thanks for the heads up. Anyone else 3rd the R/R motion?

I had the same trouble as you have just described, checked everything as per the manual, all specs. ok as per manual. Truned out to be the stator, I have a new R/R if you need it you can have it for what I have in it + shipping.

I had the same trouble as you have just described, checked everything as per the manual, all specs. ok as per manual. Truned out to be the stator, I have a new R/R if you need it you can have it for what I have in it + shipping.

The plot thickens :D .

FWIW, my symptoms were pretty much the same as well.

Obby, did you perform the troubleshooting routine for the R/R and stator?

The plot thickens :D .

FWIW, my symptoms were pretty much the same as well.

Obby, did you perform the troubleshooting routine for the R/R and stator?

No not yet, with it being "the silly season" and the motorcycle show here in San Jose this weekend, I probably won't get to the real "by the book" troubleshooting until a week from now. Charging the batt. every day now seems to be keeping me running for now.

Thanks,

Obby

I'm in on the stator.

Same/same on my 97, replaced stator (and battery...) and all is well now.

I have a RR for an 02 bike that I want to put on someday, but today is not that day.

I have a '99 reg/reg too (same type), unfortunately i've heard that it will not provide the correct voltage regulation for our birds. Let me know if i'm wrong (be careful).

-Obby

I just replaced both the Stator and R/R. Electrex could not help on a R/R, the only one they offer fits the 97. So, just with back with the OEM R/R and Electrex Stator. bike works fine Know after a month or so of not running.

My battery went dead. The bike wouldn't charge it. No biggie. Troubleshot down to the R/R. Got a new one installed. Rode for another 700 miles, and the battery died again. Again, wouldn't hold a charge. Troubleshot down to the R/R, again. Bought a new R/R. Voltage measurements were still off. Bought new stator and battery. Figure I'd just fix EVERYTHING! So far, no problems.

http://www.cbr1100xxforums.org/forum/viewt...pic.php?t=15374

Ok, now i'm getting confused. Yesterday I checked the voltage again after riding home from work and it's was charging again :? . The reading was like 13.5 increasing to 14.5 at 5k rpms. I suppose it could have been due to me charging the battery fully the other night. Not sure what's going on so I'm going to keep charging the battery every night at low voltage until I get this nailed down a little more. Does this still seem like a R/R issue?

Does this still seem like a R/R issue?

Yes. I've already got the $20 spent :lol:

Serioously, if it's fluctuating like that, I think it's the R/R. Plus it's the easiest, cheapest fix first :wink:

Yeah, that's a pretty cool farkle. And I read your thread, sounds like you went through hell getting your charging problems resolved. Glad you got everything squared away.

I'm hoping for the easy plug-in fix myself :roll:

I'm hoping for the easy plug-in fix myself :roll:

Me too. It sucks not being able to trust your bike won't leave you stranded. Luckily, both times my R/R went bad, I was close enough to limp it home.

Sounded like a stator issue to me before, and it still does. Get a good multimeter and check the resistance between the three yellow wires from the stator leading to the R/R. "Zero" the test leads by shorting them together, and noting the readout on the meter. If it is any value greater than zero, subtract that amount from the subsequent readings.

1. Measure between each of the three yellow wires to each other (three measurements). What you are doing is measuring each of the three windings in the stator. It should be a low resistance-a fraction of an ohm-but should be measureable, and all three measurements should be about the same. Any single measurement that is high or totally short is an indication of a bad winding.

2. Measure between each yellow wire to vehicle ground. All three measurements should indicate infinity, or open. Any resistance measurement or short indication is evidence that the stator winding has shorted to the motor case.

3. If these measurements check out OK, then the problem has to be downstream (the R/R, possibly).