CBR1100XX.org Forum

520 chains

BDAZ XX

It doesn't necessarily need to be a race bike to run it. It does help acceleration and handling.

I was just sitting here looking at the XX rear sprocket and chain with the RC sitting on the other side and was wondering about it.

I`d say it would last 5-8 k miles on XX.Once I run 530 DID VM on Yzf 1000 ( actually 1040 :D ),lasted 12 k miles instead of 20+ k in case of DID ZVM.

You don`t need stinky 520 chain on big bore inline four :lol::lol:,it does reduce unsprung weight though.

Hell thats one of the more popular mods most people do to the Big Bore I4s and VTwins to increase power and reduce weight. 8)

Wear isn't that much worse than the 530 either. I run though a chain every 12-15k on the XX's 530 but then again I abuse the shit out of all of my bikes. :lol: I'm on the third one with 45k on her.

I think next time around I'll try it out. I still have a season on the current setup.

I think there alittle conservative considering most all of the open class liter race bikes and street bikes have 520 conversion kits available or installed already. :roll:

And every one of the new liter bikes put out more power than our XX's. Even the gixxer 750 is damn near equal to the HP the XX puts out.

I guess if you were launching off a drag strip alot I could see using a heavier chain but for 99% of us that ride street I think it could or would be a good inexpensive mod, considering we have to replace them every season or 2 anyway.

We dont get on it as hard as a drag racer, every 10-11 seconds of use.

I was looking at the wife's TTR125, and it runs a 428 chain.

I'll give it a shot if someone wants to help me with my insurance deductible :lol::lol:

Honestly,on liter bike you would not be able to tell the difference performance wise 530 vs 520 chain.On race track,you might get 0.1 second per lap.I mean,you can spin tire almost at will anyway .I know everyone goes to 520 on track bikes but unless you get paid for riding/racing for glory,etc why bother IMHO.

Stock R1 does come with strongest 530 like DID ZVM.

I put on XX 10-13 k miles per year,or I have to replace 530 ZVM once every 2 years,with 520 it would mean, at least, yearly replacement.Too many bikes and cars between me and my girlfriend.I`m sick of doing maintenence type of work on all of them,tunning is a different story.

You won`t have fatal type of failure with 520,but you will have to replace the chain at least twice as often.

Another factor ,liter bikes make more power but don`t weight nearly as much as XX.

I think there alittle conservative considering most all of the open class liter race bikes and street bikes have 520 conversion kits available or installed already.  

And every one of the new liter bikes put out more power than our XX's. Even the gixxer 750 is damn near equal to the HP the XX puts out.  

I guess if you were launching off a drag strip alot I could see using a heavier chain but for 99% of us that ride street I think it could or would be a good inexpensive mod, considering we have to replace them every season or 2 anyway.  

If it was a track bike maybe, but running a 520 on a street XX doing all weather, cross country riding etc.. I'd stick to the added security of the 530.

I think there alittle conservative considering most all of the open class liter race bikes and street bikes have 520 conversion kits available or installed already. :roll:  

ZX10R - 80 ft. lbs. torque.

CBR1100XX - 87 ft. lbs. torque.

That's 8% more torque. Also, we have another 120 lbs of mass to pull. That's 30% more mass.

J.