CBR1100XX.org Forum

LED mirror farkle

gordo

did a quick mirror farkle last week, pic below. to summarize - i was having trouble seeing the blinker indicators on the dash as the lip of my windshield cuts right across them when i'm sitting in a normal riding position. i considered a couple fixes, but decided i liked the integrated look a lot of the newer cars have, where the LEDs are inside the mirror. muth also makes a system, but it's $$$ and not quite what i wanted.

i used 2 hyper lights (4-led units) and dremeled out four holes in the plastic inside the mirror housing and the thin layer of reflective mirror backing. i tied them into the blinker wires inside the housing, which couldn't have been easier. it's not obvious from my crappy pic, but when the LEDs are off there are four very small dots on the mirror. at first glance you probably wouldn't notice them and they don't seem to interfere with seeing what's behind.

anyway, it was about an hours work total and i'm very happy with the results. i could have mounted the lights further out on the mirror, but that would require a bit more cutting as the plastic gets thicker and complicated on the outer ends. besides being more visible to me, i suspect the cars behind and to the side of me might actually see them too, assuming they're not yapping on the phone or reading the paper.

led_blinker.gif

That is very cool. I might have to try that one myself. You know what they say, "Imitation is the

sincerest form of flatery.", or something like that. :-)

Go to walmart.. They have the arrow style led blinkers with adhesive on the back already.. I did this on my bird and noticed that the flashers interfered with my rear viewing so I pulled them off and returned them to walmart for my $10 back...

But I'm glad it worked for someone...

you could make any desgn you want witht the LEDs - smileys, arrows, etc, though for me it was easiest to use the pre-made 4 bulb hyperlights. i considered going the more custom route, and even doing arrows, but the more lights, the more they would interfere with the mirror. also, if you take the mirror out of the housing you see that you can't really get the LEDs to the edge of the mirror. mine are as close as i could get them. if i did it again i would probably put the lights further out. this wasn't a tough farkle, a dremmel was the only tool i used, and some super glue.