CBR1100XX.org Forum

someone please explain gearing to me...

arcticflipper

Loking at a xls spreadsheet that I got off this board, but then nothing ever works as it is stated on paper...

I've seen a couple of guys running 18 front sprockets, with what size rear?

What in the real world will I loose if I run a 18 front with a 42 rear?

Will I have absolutely no power for pull off?

and will i need to run down a mine shaft to actually get the full potential that the sprockets will be able to give me in speed?

Or is this acceptable?

One tooth in front = 3 at the rear if I remember correctly, but I can't remember how this influence fuel economy

According to the paper work this setup will give me the following figures:

RPM mph Gear

10 000 190.0 6

10 800 205.2 6

10 000 148.5 4

10 000 169.7 5

etc etc

gearing is simple..

The bike geared stock is 17F 45R I believe

45 divided by 17 = 2.647

Which means the front turns 2.647 times compared the the rears one full turn..

you increase the front to 18 and keep the 45R you will have slower acceleration but may increase top end if you have enough torque to push you. (thats a whole different subject)

If go down to a 16 in front you will gain quicker acceleration but sacrifice top end.. not much probably up to 160 or so.

or

you can leave the front stock at 17 and adjust the rear buy adding or subtracting teeth.

since you can't get 2.647 teeth simple round up to 3 teeth or maybe try just 2 teeth to see if you like the results.

If you add 3 teeth in the back it does the same taking away one tooth in the front and take away 3 teeth its like adding a tooth in front.

Most people go with the front as its cheaper... either way you will have to get a speedo healer or buy a gps if you want accurate speed.

smaller in front will make your bike run at higher RPMS same as taking 3 away in the rear and vice versa

Probably, but not sure if what he is asking is if there an advantage or disadvantage to the same gear ratio but different tooth counts.

17/45=2.64706

18/48=2.6666

16/43=2.6875

I have been wondering if there is a leverage advantage to having a larger front. This of course requires a larger rear and it gets into a space problem,,,,but having run from 14 to 17 front with the same gear ratio in the rear I have convinced myself that I want the largest front that I can run and to figure what rear limits I have.

For info I am on a 16/58 with a 24 inch tire now and have a 17/61 to try soon.

The thing is torque and leverage. If the motor has the torque to turn the leverage of a larger front it will acelerate harder, at the same gear ratio.

Some thing like that. Feels much different at the seat as far as I can tell.

Will run on the track soon and see if that is right.

Some of the drag racers I know do this. Makes for some large rear sprokets.

If this is not what you were talking about well

(nevermind)

Stan

The larger front makes for a more efficient setup for a given gear ratio as chain friction is greatly reduced, as is chain wear.

Gearing is more or less gearing. Shorter or numerically larger ratios will give better acceleration, taller ratios may give higher top speed. Torque has little to do with it, it's about HP at that point.

Gearing is more or less gearing. Shorter or numerically larger ratios will give better acceleration, taller ratios may give higher top speed. Torque has little to do with it, it's about HP at that point.  

Exactly !

Torque = Acceleration

Horsepower = Top speed

Leverage has nothing to do with torque????

trick question?

the bird has better torque than horsepower?

aceleration than top speed?

bigger front, better aceleration and top speed, same ratio with high torque engine.

Just a question that applies to bird only.

load that motor.

I have been wondering if there is a leverage advantage to having a larger front. This of course requires a larger rear and it gets into a space problem,,,,but having run from 14 to 17 front with the same gear ratio in the rear I have convinced myself that I want the largest front that I can run and to figure what rear limits I have.

For info I am on a 16/58 with a 24 inch tire now and have a 17/61 to try soon.

The thing is torque and leverage. If the motor has the torque to turn the leverage of a larger front it will acelerate harder, at the same gear ratio.

If you put a larger sprocket on the front and an even larger one on the rear to get the same gearing, the "torque" advantage you speak about will negate itself. It would take more torque to spin a larger front and less to spin a larger rear, think of where the power is coming from and where it's going. The overall gearing would be the same so the RPMs at any speed would be the same. You're adding mass that you have to accelerate both in the chain and the sprockets. You might get less resistance in the bend of the chain around the front sprocket, but the added weight would ofset this as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The guy that bought all my XX parts (including the engine) runs it on 17 Front and 37 rear, he claims that it does 240mph (not digital speedo)

The rear sprocket was made by a unknown Co.

Maybe on paper, but it doesn't go that fast without a turbo, or a massive shot of nitrous.