CBR1100XX.org Forum

Temp reading!

feelergaugephil

My fan kicks at 212-214F. 220F is to high in my opinion. Also with outside temperature about 90F my gauge shows about 186F when going 80-85MPH or faster. Slowing down to 70-75 will send my temperature higher, how high depends on outside teperature, humidity seems to affect the temperature reading also. My is 2002 silver :)

My 01 runs around 180 during the summer with 95-100 degree air temps.

I will run a minimum 176 degrees, when the air temp is cool. These temps are running Mobil 1. I saw a 3 to 5 degree increase of indicated temp switching to synthetic.

Temps are always high below 40 mph.Cools much better at speed. I saw 257 degrees, idling, at Daytona a few weeks ago. High air temp, light tailwind. This caused the fan to be ineffective. At 257, the temp gauge starts flashing. Changed the oil once I got home. It stunk.

I would not be concerned with 180-185 if the air temp is 85 degrees or higher.

I live down here in humid Louisiana, like today was t-shirt weather, and it's always bloody hot.

It was so so nice when I drove to Colorado, NOT USING THE A/C in my truck!

When I got back toward La, I had to use the A/C again!

I'll keep a close eye on it, as today was my 1st ride out on it, will post my ride "in the pub" Phil.

My 01 runs around 180 during the summer with 95-100 degree air temps.  

I will run a minimum 176 degrees, when the air temp is cool. These temps are running Mobil 1. I saw a 3 to 5 degree increase of  indicated temp  switching to synthetic.

Temps are always high below 40 mph.Cools much better at speed. I saw 257 degrees, idling, at Daytona a few weeks ago. High air temp, light tailwind. This caused the fan to be ineffective. At 257, the temp gauge starts flashing. Changed the oil once I got home. It stunk.

I would not be concerned with 180-185 if the air temp is 85 degrees or higher.

Not the only one, heh. Same thing happened to me this past Bike week. I saw 255 and held. Then the battery died. Bump strarted and went home. Temps normal of course once moving.

Feelerguage, welcome. Its normal. The warmer running temps that is.

I saw a 3 to 5 degree increase of  indicated temp  switching to synthetic.

Synthetic increased the indicated temperature?

I would have guessed the opposite but I've used synthetic in my 01 for so long... I don't remember what the temps were back when I used Honda GN4 and I probably made the switch to synthetic in the fall or spring when the weather was cooler anyway so I wouldn't have noticed the difference.

I did see a 3-5 degree increase indicated switching to synthetic.

My dad saw the same on his 1/2 vw aircraft engine. I don't worry too much. We tore down the vw at 1500 hours, and it was totally clean inside.

Still within tollerance on the crank and cam. I figure less grunge buildup, lower total wear.

WOW! quick responses! The Honda dealership of whom I am very friendly with says that they sell this stuff which sells for around $20 for qt, will keep the temp down and give me extra HP!

What you think??

water wetter?

if so, go to pep boys its cheaper though i cant remember what i paid. it keeps the temp down a bit but dont count on any extra hp.

WOW! quick responses! The Honda dealership of whom I am very friendly with says that they sell this stuff which sells for around $20 for qt, will keep the temp down and give me extra HP!

What you think??

YOU GON GET RAPED

:lol:

The product in question is Redline Water Wetter, or a simular product to this. The concept is all the same, a chemical that breaks down water's surface tension and allows greater thermal transfer from metal to water. In order for it to be effective in a coolant solution, your mixed ethlyne glycol coolant shouldn't be greater than 15% by volume.

Actually, not going to get raped at the dealers, most of them I know on a personal level, so instead of $60hr they are only charging me $40 and the parts are at cost plus 10%

I told them about my 130 miles to a tankful, they said once it's got it's 17K service I should get a lot more than that.

told them about my 130 miles to a tankful, they said once it's got it's 17K service I should get a lot more than that.

I doubt that unless you have a problem now that you are not aware of.

The Bird rarely needs a service and when it does it rarely involves anything other than fluid changes and basic plug changes. I have gotten 130 miles to a tank myself but it was some lively riding.

When I ran down I-95 at 3 digit speeds I went through a 1/2 tank in about 60 miles. But that was staying above 8000+ rpm the whole way

I changed mine at 18,000 miles and they were still clean burning and just did again at 34,000 miles before going to NEXXT and both times they did not appear to need changing. No noticable performance in my engine that I could tell.

But take a look at them after they are out and post up your results after the service and you run a couple tanks through. Maybe it will make a big difference in your case. Certainly can't hurt as long as the mechanic knows what he is doing.