CBR1100XX.org Forum

Where are you guys buying batteries?

Redbird

I currently have a Wal Mart battery in mine Tim. The night before leaving for NEXXT while reassembling my bike, my battery wouldn't take a charge. Wally World was the only place I could source one out in the middle of the night. So far - so good, but it'll probably die on me in a year and a half.

I currently have a Wal Mart battery in mine...    

...So far - so good, but it'll probably die on me in a year and a half.

Or, may not. I believe Carlos said he got a Wal-Mart battery and it's been troublefree.

Also, Consumer Reports just did an article about car batteries. They rated the Wal-Mart batteries pretty well.

As for me, the price of the battery for the '98 XX was about the same from both Wal-Mart and the website I posted. The difference was, the Wal-Mart battery would have been an instant install since you don't have to wait for delivery. But, the online source was an AGM battery that didn't need to be filled with acid or charged! :) I chose online for simplicity.

Keith, the site above lists the '01-'03 battery at $106, I'm guessing the carbed unit was cheaper?

Donnie, last question- was the Wal-Mart battery a sealed unit or is it one of those that you have to fill and vent?

I'm thinking I'll just go Wal-Mart, as long as it doesn't require venting that my bike is equipped to provide.

I bought a G mat battery from Batteries Plus about 3 years ago. It was an act of desperation because the stocker was dying and the store was close to my house. I think it was $60 at the time. It has been flawless since. The Wal - Mart batteries I have purchased for jet skis and bikes have been throw aways. One season or hard cranking from kids drowning ski motor toasts them. I believe Yuasa is superior but expensive. Interesting that the Batteries Plus battery had Yuasa literature about ampacity and charging packed with it. I am sure that they contract with who ever from year to year. I bought the next size up from stock and it fits snug in the tray and offers just a fraction more reserve. I also bought a battery tender at the same time. That probably does more to help extend battery life, especially during the winter, than anything else.

Went with an Autozone $50 battery, it's in the garage charging now. Local Batteries Plus was out of stock, and I didn't feel like waiting for them or an internet order, it's 70 degrees here now 8)

If it lasts two years, it's a wash at half the price of the OEM unit, which lasted me four, and I have it now.

Thanks for all the input.

Went with an Autozone $50 battery, it's in the garage charging now. Local Batteries Plus was out of stock, and I didn't feel like waiting for them or an internet order, it's 70 degrees here now 8)

If it lasts two years, it's a wash at half the price of the OEM unit, which lasted me four, and I have it now.

Thanks for all the input.

Bought an Autozone battery a year ago Tim. No problems at all.

(knock on wood)

:P

• 2 weeks later...

Tim and crew... I was searching to replace my battery a couple months ago and found this out... I know you already have one now, but this will help those searching in the future because I had to go outside on this site to get a clear to me answer.

1997-2000 YTX12-BS (usually around $50)

12 Volt Amp/Hr: 10

C.C.A.: 180

Actual Weight (lb.): 9.8

2001-2003 YTZ12S (usually around $90)

12 Volt Amp/Hr: 11

C.C.A.: 210

Actual Weight (lb.): 8.0

The YTX12-BS can be bought everywhere, Wally, Autozone, Farm & Fleet, etc. The cheaper one will work on the 2001 and up FWIW, your choice kinda... but that's what the manufacture says.

(edit to say: I got the two above stats swapped accidentally... fixed.)