CBR1100XX.org Forum

Carb jetting

airborneXX

I'm thinking of going back to stock exhaust. I like the looks of dual pipes, and I'm looking to go stealth for a while until I come across a deal on dual slip ons. Right now I'm running a Yosh rs3 carbon fiber full system, and I don't know what has been done to the carbs.

Question being will I have to rejet the carbs? It should run a little rich with the stock system correct? I was going to just throw the stockers on and see what happens if it's too rich rejet if not then leave it. Worse that can happen is fouled plugs right?

Thanks in advance 8)

If you don't know what's been done to the carbs maybe nothing was, and now you'll have nothing to do. :lol:

Only way to know for sure is to go into the carbs.

If it was jetted (correctly) it should go a little rich with the stock exaust. (in theory)

I sometimes wonder how a 4 into 1 can flow more air than a full system with 2 mufflers.

Sport Rider did a slipon test a while back and none of them gave more then 3 HP, all with LOTS more noise. All for $500, what a deal. :roll:

Can you tell I like stock exausts?

The previous owner said the carbs were jetted. The plugs look good and I get 42 mpg highway, so I'll take it as properly done. I'm not looking for added HP from the dual slip ons over stock pipes, just noise. I like a good growl from an exhaust, not wake the dead noise just a nice growl. I think the bird looks much better with the duals. I'm thinking too that all these bikes seem to run lean from the factory for emissions that it may not be too rich. When the snow falls I'll tear it down and see what's in the carbs. I'm sure somebody around here has the factory jets and needles laying around if I need them.

Thank you everyone for the input

42 is low for a 97 on the highway.

Some asshat probably threw in fatter mains and did nothing else.... that's usually the case.

So... put the stockers back on and don't worry about it just yet. My guess is you might feel a slight bog above 9000 in 4th and up.

The next time you do a full service, (you are going to do it yourself right?), check the carbs and all the jets then.

Exhaust doesn't mess with a Street engine too bad.... it's very slight. Now if you put a K&N in there... well that's another story.

42 is low for a 97 on the highway.

Some asshat probably threw in fatter mains and did nothing else.... that's usually the case.

So... put the stockers back on and don't worry about it just yet. My guess is you might feel a slight bog above 9000 in 4th and up.

The next time you do a full service, (you are going to do it yourself right?), check the carbs and all the jets then.

Exhaust doesn't mess with a Street engine too bad.... it's very slight. Now if you put a K&N in there... well that's another story.

Judging by a few of the other things he did you may be right about the jetting.

The only thing I don't do myself is mount tires. local guy charges 20 bucks off the bike.

K&N sucks

K&N sucks

Well... I'll disagree with you on that one...

K&N's are great for freeing up some extra ponies, but...

they have to be cleaned regularly, and installed properly (on a Carbed bike).

It's all about the tuning... I can tell you one jet size makes a BIG difference, and in my opinion the most important Jet is the Slow Jet (otherwise called the pilot jet or the idle jet). Then the Needle in terms of importance, this is where you live most of the time, on the neddle. But your on and off throttle responce is tuned with the Pilot jet. Last is the Main.... you're almost never on your main in the real world (unless you like keeping your bike rapped out above 9k all the time which I dought.)

:D

K&N sucks

Well... I'll disagree with you on that one...

K&N's are great for freeing up some extra ponies, but...

How often is "regularly"? I put a K&N in about 6000 miles ago - the freeways in my area are very dusty (just come out of winter and the rains haven't hit properly yet - Southern Hemisphere) and I have noticed a performance falloff kinda sorta - could be I'm just used to the bike now after 8 months. Worth a wash and reoil??

How often is "regularly"? I put a K&N in about 6000 miles ago - the freeways in my area are very dusty (just come out of winter and the rains haven't hit properly yet - Southern Hemisphere) and I have noticed a performance falloff kinda sorta - could be I'm just used to the bike now after 8 months. Worth a wash and reoil??

Well I used to wash mine every oil change, about 3000 miles, but...

I would say it all depends on your environment, and type of riding conditions.

If your roads are dusty alot and you commuting in traffic, where cars are in front of you alot, then I'ld say definetly every 2-3K and you'll be fine.

My guess is that you will probably notice the same effect cleaning it now as the day you instald it. It's probably plugged to the extent of flowing as much air as the stocker. You could run 6K, but only if you were always out there by yourself.

I clean mine after the first month of riding in the spring irregaurdless of the mileage, just because of all the road dust from the winter sanding. Then I go 3K and clean it again, but if I go through a heavy dust storm or something like that I'll clean it the next time I have a chance.

Additionally.... make sure you don't over oil the filter, it's very easy. If you use the K&N oil (which in my opinion is too damn thick) specal it on, so that it looks like a spotted leopard or the holes in perferated leathers, it'll absord in to the rest of the filament after a while.

Of coarse to little oil is worse so... use your best judgement. You want to end up with a light even coverage.

Then get ready... you'll feel it. :D

Just as a reference I clean my dirt bike filter after every day of rideing... even when I'm camping for a couple of days. I can feel the difference as the day goes on... it gets harder to start and becomes slugish in term of throttle responce.

Hope that helps.

Oh and...

I use Dawn dishwashing detergent, it takes the grease away...

and Don't use pressured air,

and rinse from the backside. Shake the excess water out and then let it air dry for about 1/2 an hour before applying the oil. :wink:

Ok I'll quit now.

That's too much work. I replaced my stocker that had close to 20,000 on it, and wasn't really all that dirty. I noticed no difference in performance. The K&N filters that I have seen don't seem to seal as well as the factory filters, and they tell you to grease the gasket sufaces to make that seal. The few K&Ns Ive seen seem to have a lot of dirt in the air box past the filter. Now that could be related to the filter not sealing properly more than the media passing too much debris. In all my bikes and cars I usually go 15 to 20k miles pull the old one out toss it and put in a new filter which puts me back on the road in 2 minutes and I only use factory air filters.

Not out to start a flame war just telling you what I do.

You know there's the right way, the wrong way, and my way which tends to fall somewhere in between :lol: