CBR1100XX.org Forum

FREE AVON AV46 REAR TIRE!!!!

Pete in PA

I talked to Avon about my 3300 miles out of the rear tire. They said take it too a shop, have them get tread depth and DOT # and call Avon.

They're sending me a new rear tire :!:

Tom at the bike shop asked about this "coverage" Avon said this is on a case by case basis. With that DOT# it is from the first batch and they can not confirm or deny it but the tires may be not cured correctly or wrong compound. HMMMMM......... :!:

So anyone else with a mileage prob. (not from a burnout contest. They asked Tom about any long rips in tread) Call AVON at 1800 624 7470.

Care to share that DOT # with the rest of us? That way, we can alleviate the problem before we get it, or at least know we're gonna get another free replacement later. :grin:

Don, would you post your DOT # also, please?

Forgot to ask another question..........

Were these tires bought before they went on backorder? If so, then that may explain why they ran out of them if they were sorting out a problem.

Goog point, I had forgotten about the shortage.

I got my tires early, they were already mounted in early April.

Rear DOT # AT8B 5 3702 For those who don't know the last 4 digits mean MFG. in the 37th week of 2002.

udated, update: Talked to John at Avon, he said all tire co's including them run a batch of "cheater tires". Tires for Press intro's. Something I know bike MFG"S do.

The "racing" division also may have been sitting idle so to up production they get a tire to build. May not be up to a normal production spec.

All kinds of divulging of info going on. :wink:

My tire is in the tracking system for UPS. :grin:

Don, I have an Avon on the rear with a DOT number of AT8E 5 4501. It has about 4mm of tread left with about 3000 miles on it.

Don and Pete, you know how much tread you had left when you got your tires replaced??

Call Avon, tell them your mileage and tread depth. They will tell you to go to a dealer (anyone) and get the tread measured and a DOT # and the dealer call Avon. Should be no prob. you'll have a new rear on the way. :grin: :cool:

John from Avon told me that on a BB you should get around 8000 miles.

Their guy, the Iron butt dude got 10,500 miles from his last set.

I THINK, I THINK the depth is around 6mm at new.

IF ANYONE ELSE GETS TIRES REPLACED, LET US KNOW.

I got mine replaced this past Sat. morning, 7/19. Sunday went for a ride and did 165 miles. It still has them little nubs on the tire.

Does that mean it's a harder compound?? I rermember after around 100 miles ride on my other rear, they were gone.

And i did ride pretty hard, no chicken strip left on the left side and about 1/4 inch on the right.

no chicken strip left on the left side and about 1/4 inch on the right.

Yea, my bike is like that and my sons is also. That has been bugging me. No matter where or how I ride, I have a strip on the right side of the tire but not the left. My sons 03 is the same way. Why???

XXers, i had 0/32's when my tire was at 3400 miles, then rode it until 3600 miles.

My buddy, that some people will remember from the NEXXT ran the 010/020 combo on his 1200 Bandit and got 10,000 miles out of them.