CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire Recommendations Please

mbdean

Its time for new tires again on my '98 and I'm hoping to get some recommendations. The last three sets have been BT012SS and I've been very happy with their performance. However, I've been running 30psi front and rear and the current set is bald at not quite 2000 miles. Plus, since I've been running the lower pressure there is a tendency for front chatter with hard braking.

Most of my riding is in twisities on my commute and tends to be quite aggressive, so traction is vital. But I would like more durability.

So, I am thinking of either the Pilot Road or Pilot Power. Can anyone offer any good advice from their experience with these tires regarding chatter, traction and durability?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I am sure I will get slammed here on this but here is my opinion!

I tried the Roads, did not like them at all, very slippery in the turns, and seemed a little strange on the straights. And since I am not a seasoned vetran like alot of the guys here, I even let a friend ride my bike that has been riding for over 25 years, and is currently riding an R1. He said the same thing, felt like it was just waiting to slip out from under you. Mind you his test ride of my bike was on Cement, I told him he should try it on the Asphalt.

I am currently using Dunlop 208's and they stick like glue in the turns, I just got back from a 1000 mile ride in the Ozarks, and there is very little straight roads in AR, and let me tell you it never slipped one time, and every turn was taken at atleast twice the posted speed. As far as life expectancy, the front has lasted for 2 rears, about 4k on each rear and 8k on the front.

The way I look at it if I am not confident in my bike, and if it does slip out from under me just once, I will not have saved anything!!!

The Roads will last along time though, I had 4200 miles on them and they still had atleast that left on them. I gave them to a friend that has one of the BMW Sport Tourers, and he even commented they were a little more slippery than he was used too also. And he has been riding for over 30 years, and has 100's of thousands of miles under his belt.

I currently have 15000 miles on my bike and when I started riding this year, I had around 4k, in the last 6 months I have put 11k on the bike, and I will say after the original D 205's the Pilot Roads, and now the D 208's The 208 is hands down the best tire I have used at this point.

This is totally just my experience, I am not an expert, but I can tell you the last 8k miles the bike has never slipped once. So confidence is very high, and I look forward to riding, instead of wondering if this is the day it slides out from under me!!!

Todd

I'll agree with TAP... I'm not a real big fan of the Pilot Roads. I was real happy with the Z6's Better feel than the PRs, grip and turn in was better... But they won't wear as long. Once my PRs are in need of replacing, I'm gonna try the new Pirelli Diablo Stradas. I hear that they are like the Z6 but with a dual compound and the center is s'posed to be harder for better wear(?).

I have been running the Pilot Roads for two tire cycles now and have found them to be a very good

cross between sport and touring. I have never felt they were going to slip out from under me, and I'm

not a particularly easy rider. YMMV, of course, but for me, the Roads are a good tire: good mileage

combined with good grip.

I'm fixing to spoon on a Pirelli Diablo Strada rear and a regular Diablo front. Should be similar to the M1/Z6 combo.

Keep us posted... I'm gonna go that route or the Stradas front 'n rear...

Still running the Avon 45/46 combo. Love them.

I've contemplated the Metzlers, though... Maybe the nexxt time I need to swap both front and rear... hmmmmm.

Avon 45/46 here too. I'll run at least one more rear and try to wear out the front. They handle well for me and have plenty of stick for my riding sytle.

The last three sets have been BT012SS

Have you thought about the BT 014? They should last longer than the 012 and they stick good for me.

From my experience the BT 012r's were a better match for the Bird.

Also the rear didn't cupped as bad as the 014 (which was useless after 2000 kms)

Bear in mind that 015's are coming (already OEM in the 2006 ZX10R & ZX14). Now i am running Pilot Powers and I have noticed that they don't wear as muchc as the Bridgestones. After 4.5 Kms the rear has still 4mm tread (new is 6+) when the BT014 for the same mileage had less than 1mm.

Also running the Avon 45/46 combo. For my style of riding (semi aggressive, fast acceleration and braking, moderately aggressive in twisty conditions) I've not had a single problem with the Avons. No cupping, no slipping, great wear. I've got over 9K on the set I'm running now, which I put on brand new before I rode to California and back. I'm still running them. I run my pressures at 42F/42R and I think for now I'll stick with the Avons.

I have been running the Pilot Roads and have found them to be a very good

cross between sport and touring.  I have never felt they were going to slip out from under me, and I'm

not a particularly easy rider.  YMMV, of course, but for me, the Roads are a good tire: good mileage  

combined with good grip.

+1

I also have been 2x+ in the corners... never had a slip.

This tires going to last me twice as long as my last 205.

Avons are to hard for my consience.

and just for refference... x2 in the corner is not the same accross the country...

In Colorado 2x is equal to...

2x+10 in Arkansas,

and 2x+20 in California.

RWYL. :wink:

EVLXX,

You are very correct about the speeds in each state being different.

I will also say that the road surfaces vary greatly in each state as well. Which may play a big factor in some riders being happy with the Roads while some are not. But here in TX where I do alot of riding around where I live, the asphalt is very slick from being worn. I just never felt comfortable with the Roads on the current surfaces I ride on weekly. I am definitely not saying the Roads are bad tires, just not good for me, and the area I ride in.

Todd

I am running my second set of Pilot Roads now. After all my Bridgestones (and before that Dunlop) the best tire I've ever used. Very stabile, very easy to turn, and no headshakes (ever!) anymore.

Fantastic grip in the wet, dry and in slippery conditions. Very, very predictable, and with my riding style (very fast but NOT aggressive) it is possible to scrape the fairing quite often (and I am a lightweight). Since I raised my footpegs 2 inches, and raised the bike a lot (Hyperpro suspension) I finally have enough ground clearance to make my turns.

Yes, under certain conditions the Pilot Roads will start to slide, but if you ride in a group you will notice that the other tires will slide at least as much.....

The Pilot Power is even better in grip and geometry (it's less round, and more V-shaped). However, the mileage is lower....

In all tests I've read by motorcyclemagazines these tires are considered the best around.

I sell tires through the Internet now, and these are by far the best sold at the moment.... Here in Holland I guess 70% of the BB-riders use Michelin now....

Now i am running Pilot Powers and I have noticed that they don't wear as muchc as the Bridgestones. After 4.5 Kms the rear has still 4mm tread (new is 6+) when the BT014 for the same mileage had less than 1mm.

I think that settles it. Guess I'll be giving SWmototires a call this week for the Pilot Powers. Given my riding style and confidence level on the 11XX, I would hate to even imagine what could happen if I went to a tire with less traction than what I am using now.

On the 11XX I have run BT057 - 3600 miles, 2x BT056SS - 3000 miles each, BT010 - 1500 miles, and 3x BT012SS, 3000, 3000, and 2000 miles. On the Superhawk that I used to own I ran D207s - Greasy like a light switch on the track when they get too hot - and M1 Sporttechs - not as bad as the D207 but still kind of slippery when hot. On the RC51 I had D208s - better than the D207 - and now on the second set of BT012SS. The current set has about 300 road miles and 4 track days on them with about 2mm of tread left - probably only good for two more track days.

One final Michelin question though, I've heard in the past that when Michelins slide they let go all at once. True or False? The BT012SS slides extremely gradually which lends itself very nicely to letting the rear drift - even on the track on my RC. Any useful comments on the Pilot Power's sliding personality?

Thanks again!

I will say about the Pilot Roads:

1: I have balled up rubber on the edges on the 'playground and the 'dragon. We were movin' pretty good, never a hint of a slip

2. They KICK the stock Bridgestone's ASS in the rain! Awesome wet traction! (even better if you lower the pressure a bit)

3. I actually go to the edge of the tire running 42PSI on my way home from work ther other day. This was WITH hanging all the way off... I hadn't tried that before when I wasn't running corners with pressures lowered (I run 37R, 36F when I'm out running corners usually)

4. I'll look to see the mileage, but I know I'm running up on 10k miles on the rear and have about twice the height of the wear bars left in total tread... although I'll look at my maint. records this evening and see exactly how much I have left...

5. To your question about sliding: The only time they've slid on me was last winter, when there was a bit of salt still on the roads, I'd be hanging off, maybe 3/8" from the edge of the tire and when I'd get in the gas in a corner, the rear would slide ever so slightly, and I'd let off and it'd come back, and get back on again, and so on... I've found that they give VERY good feedback when they're starting to go...

Overall, I've been very happy with the 'roads for what they are...

Mike

Edit: I have 9k miles on on the 'roads right now, not 10k... I'll probably get 11k out of this set... and that's with about 15 drag strip runs and half as many pre-run burnouts...

Helvet, I've heard a fair bit about about the Continental Conti RoadAttack. Since Conti is probably more common in Europe, I was wondering what experiences you've heard about them on the 'Bird?

One of our board-members, who runs the club with me and a few others is a Honda-mechanic.

He was offered the chance to use these Conti's for free when they were introduced. No charge whatsoever....

He was not displeased with them, but he would not buy them himself. The Michelin is a superior product, and he now runs (again) on Pilot Powers......

I don't know anyone else who used them. Its mostli Michelin now, with some Bridgestone, and even less Pirelli and Metzeler. All other brands are insignificant overhere (for the XX that is....).

I just switched from Dunlop D208's to Pilot Roads - I have 200 miles on them and totally respect them! I can honestly say that they stick! I've hustled through many of my favorite corners at same or better speeds than my 208's and feel every bit, or even more confident than on the Dunlops.

My 2c, but I took the advice of the board members here to purchase them and so far I am feeling that this was a pretty good decision!

The only difference so far is that they will bust loose under (full) power coming out of turns. I dont know that this is such a bad thing. All and all I am very satisfied.

I don't think that Pilot Powers are good for wet roads. From my experience my -now tired Powers- feel strange in the rain(mainly the rear), this is might be due to the less tread pattern which does not dispose as much water as other tires.

I have the feeling that BT12R and BT14 are better in the rain. Also BT12SS are intended for lighter bikes.

I just switched from Dunlop D208's to Pilot Roads - I have 200 miles on them and totally respect them! I can honestly say that they stick! I've hustled through many of my favorite corners at same or better speeds than my 208's and feel every bit, or even more confident than on the Dunlops..

This is almost exactly what I was going to post, except I just switched the old 220's off the bird instead of the 208s.

I like the Roads too. But still can't decide whether I like them better than the Avon 45/46.

The Avons were good tires (had one set on so far). I liked them a lot. It seems to me they don't grip as well in the wet as the Roads do. Also I'd heard of 8k and 10k out of the Avon rear but I only got about 5.5 - similar to the mileage I get on the Roads.

The tire feed back, dry grip, heated grip :) , cold grip, braking, acel, I haven't been able to decide between the 45/46 and the Roads.

Both good tires, can't go wrong, IMHO.