CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cold Weather Starts

Fonzie

Pete ,

The bike would only be fed propane at the air intake. Even then , it would not be on full blast , maybe 1/3 open at he valve , and only introduced while cranking. I know, it does sound freaky but I'd rather use propane than starting fluid.

I'd leave the gap alone on the plugs. Do you have new ones on hand already? How do you plan to clean them?

No.......haven't had time to deal with any of it lately. Busy season's starting at work. I've worked 135 hours in 9 trips. Had a 19 hour day Monday night........cab couldn't find where we outlawed at. Had to wait 4 1/2 hours for him to find us. Sad.........rail hasn't moved in 100 years since Henry Ford first laid it, but these guys act like it's a big mystery where we're at.

Other reason I haven't gotten them yet is never really got a response from you guys about what plugs are consensus best for the Bird. I know everyone is going to have their personal preference, but figured there had to be top 2 or 3 that most would agree on.

And when you say "clean them".........I assume you're talking about the old ones, right?? Don't need to clean the new ones, do you?

I would say check the sparkplugs,but,,,,,,,,,Here is what happened to me couple years ago.Filled up both bikes (97 Yamaha ( carburated),and 99 XX (fi)), in Wyoming,rode for about 50 miles,loaded on the trailer ,drove home.

Tried to start start Yamaha a week later,no go.Tried every trick in the book,jumping from the car,starting fluid,walking clockwise around the bike,no luck.

Only after I drained carbs and fuel tank,filled her up with fresh gas she would start on the first crank.

Answer-We just got really shitty fuel in WY.

BTW I had no probs with Honda,go figure.Well, I guess one is FI,easier starting.

Russ,

I think Tomek is onto something here. Do you go to the same gas station all the time? Think'in you got some bad gas exacerbated by sitting in your tank for a while.

Like Tomek suggested, try draining the float bowls a bit on your carbs. Not all the way at first. If you do that then there won't be anything in there at all to fire up. Still suggest some of that Isoheat and perhaps the Seafoam (http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm ). Or maybe just the Seafoam might be better. These two additives are great. Flame on, but that Isoheat/Seafoam has worked wonders for me on many occasion with different machines. It blends the water with the fuel so you can burn it to alleviate the symptoms your describing. Good stuff.

Might be a good time to change your plugs like Pete suggested. Think'in most people go with the NGK Iridium. They work well for me and the CR9EHIX-9 are for the '97-2000 XX's.

http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_appOther...ID=29684&mfid=1

You won't have to gap the new plugs. Although some of the more left brained types may disagree. Torque 'em in and start w/ choke as if nothing ever happened after you've drained all carbs a bit.

If my Bird were having these symptoms this is what I'd do.

But then again, maybe your XX caught that Bird flu that's been spreading. :roll:

Best O' luck to ya.

Russ,

I think Tomek is onto something here. Do you go to the same gas station all the time? Think'in you got some bad gas exacerbated by sitting in your tank for a while.

Best O' luck to ya.

Hurricane..........I go to all different places for gas. Wherever's convenient & best price at the time. Not picky like one of my friends, though for the record, I do ALWAYS put in whatever their premium grade is. I don't think the gas sat in the tank for more than week or so before I went out to start again, and the tank is just below "full".

My picky gas friend was over & we started the bike in the garage. It had been just shy of 2 weeks since I rode her. I remember she was running rough then........kept spitting & sputtering....but chalked it up to him starting it differently than I always do.......plus we kept tweaking the throttle before she was warmed up, which wasn't helping any, but he got to see the flames shooting out my exhaust!! :wink:

P.S........sent you a PM

In the middle of tearing it down now. Booooy.........lot different than my '82.......lots more hoses & electrical connections to the tank. Plus those intakes right under there........didn't have that with my V-twin. :roll: Thanx for the heads up about that........stuffed some clean socks in them to make sure nothing falls down them.

Also......Thanx Obby for the warning about those side pieces needing popped out before pulling the tank off. Started to gently pull her back, and the one came off....then I remembered you in the back of my head :idea: Still haven't found the darn plugs........pulled the air filter out....thought they were gonna be under there from everyone's description.

Gotta check that link to see where I'm at. Think it may still have the original air filter. Is that whole black plastic housing around the filter all part of the filter? I pulled it out of that tray, looked at it real quick & didn't see a way to separate them. It has Honda stamped on the black plastic part.

I'm at page 2, letter C of War's guide to change plugs. Tried to bring the picture over like Obby did.......wouldn't let me click on it for copyright purposes.....not sure how Obby did it??

Anyways....I don't see a side bolt like that where the solenoid is. I see 2 bolts on top of the solenoid. Am I OK to undo those to get that top tray piece to lift off, or will that unfasten my solenoids & make them fall down into the fairing/motor? Mines a '98...........Anyone know if the one in the pic is a different year so maybe they're set up a little different?? Just wanted to double check before I possibly make things harder for myself

I've got a 98, that procedure is for 99 and newer with FI.

Under tank maint. is way easier on the carb bikes.

You're confuseing me with talk of solenoids and tray. :?

Remove the left and right fairing lower and the inner liners along the tank and insturments.

Remove the tank completely, remove nuts for the coils (solenoids?) they're still attached to the plug wires so they're not going anywhere.

unscrew the clamps to the top of the carbs for the airbox and remove the airbox.

Now you're there for the plugs.

All of this is MUCH easier with a correct year manual.

OK..........got some time off work & back at it again. Finally got that #$%@ airbox off.....I'll never remember where all those friggin' hoses go to!! Got the 1st 2 plug boots off, struggling with the next 2, though I'm just reading further in War's aid & see he recommends only taking one boot off at a time.

Anyways.........think I may be screwed here. Just looked through my stock tool kit, and I have the box end wrench & the closed end wrench, but I don't seem to have the spark plug socket.....kit has 6 pieces total. What size socket do I need for these plugs, as it looks like I'm going to have to go buy one....all my plug sockets are standard, not metric? I'm assuming some kind of swivel extension as well then??

Getting ready for the kid's soccer/football games, but hope to get back to it tonight/tomorrow.

You're lucky I have old sparkplugs around. (don't ask why)

Ideally it's a 16mm but my 5/8ths in. plug socket works, just slightly loose.

2 problems I see are if it will fit into the tunnel of the head and also if it lets go of the extension you're using how are you going to get it out. It's deep in there.

Anyone got an extra stock tool kit spark plug wrench that they're willing to part with? Just ordered the new plugs from my local Yami dealer. Usually takes them forever to get stuff in, but only game within 30 miles.

I don't have the spark plug wrench in the bike's stock toolkit, and you guys all say it makes this job ALOT easier.

Since I gotta wait on plugs anyways, plus going back into the work merry go round tonight....lord only knows when I'll get off again....probably gonna mark off sick for the kid's trick or treat this weekend...... Josh had a good idea when I talked to him last night of asking you guys if you had an extra one you wanted to sell. Thanx!

Think I'll double up and separate this with it's own thread as well.

P.S.......thanx for checking that Pete

Plugs came in today........picked them up. Gonna try messing with it a bit tonight. Still waiting on the air filter.

What do 'ya think about squirting a shot of starter fluid down in the plug hole while I've got them out? Helpful/harmful or neither? Oooooorrr.....what about spraying/pouring some of that Isoheat or Seafoams Hurricane was talking about?

Plugs came in today........picked them up. Gonna try messing with it a bit tonight. Still waiting on the air filter.

What do 'ya think about squirting a shot of starter fluid down in the plug hole while I've got them out? Helpful/harmful or neither? Oooooorrr.....what about spraying/pouring some of that Isoheat or Seafoams Hurricane was talking about?

Starter fluid is fine, but I wouldn't spray it directly down the cylinders (might foul the plugs). Just spray a couple of blasts down the carbs and fire her up naked ( :evilgrin: ).

Starter fluid is fine, but I wouldn't spray it directly down the cylinders (might foul the plugs). Just spray a couple of blasts down the carbs and fire her up naked ( :evilgrin: ).

OK.........Finally got some time today.....got the plugs changed. Very black....carbon?? Blue stripes, NGK #CR9EHVX with a 9 below that. Sound like the originals? Gonna try firing her nekked like Obby said. Not gonna have stuff squirting out all over with all those hoses undone, am I....or damage something? I'm dreading where all those hoses connect.....Been a couple weeks & don't remember :roll: Will try to post pix of the plugs later for opinions.

It's Halloween aaannnndd...........SHE'S ALIVE!!!

Just fired her up with the starting fluid. She fired right off, but then stalled. Had to play with the choke some & spray some more fluid down her, but she ran for a good minute or so before I shut her down. Sounded good to hear her again......Been about 7 weeks!! :shock: Still waiting on the air filter to come in, but maybe I'll sew her up today with the old one so I can take her for a little spin.....beautiful fall day!!

She's starting to act like my Yamaha I just sold!!!! :shock:

Did the Vision bug jump over before you sold it :lol:

I'm trying to get rid of my old 82' project bike right now on ROV. Bought a more worthy 84' V65 Sabre to pleasure tooling myself with on the weekends...

All I got left is the tank. Not sure where a couple of these hoses go.

Big one coming out from under the tank. If you're looking up under the tank, it's on the left hand side and comes directly out from the tank, not the petcock.

Little skinny one directly under the #2 plug?

One that's attatched to white plastic hose clip and I think the overflow bottle hose in a T ??? I know the other end used to hang down by the shock. I had to tear it out from under seat area to get tank all the way off. Other end is still attached to the petcock under the tank. Not sure where the 3rd end of the T goes and what that clip clips on to.

There are 2 skinny little nozzles at the bottom of the petcock.....Is that where the 2 skinny little hoses in previous 2 paragraphs go? If so, which one to which nozzle?

P.S. Thanx Josh :P

P.P.S.....sent you a PM Master

P.P.P.S.......I'll be up late tonight watching the Steeler's game!!!

All I got left is the tank. Not sure where a couple of these hoses go.

Big one coming out from under the tank. If you're looking up under the tank, it's on the left hand side and comes directly out from the tank, not the petcock.  On my '97 it just routes down by the rear shock (overflow  i guess).

Little skinny one directly under the #2 plug?  (Breather tube)

One that's attatched to white plastic hose clip and I think the overflow bottle hose in a T ??? I know the other end used to hang down by the shock. I had to tear it out from under seat area to get tank all the way off. Other end is still attached to the petcock under the tank. Not sure where the 3rd end of the T goes and what that clip clips on to. (Dunno, sounds like smog crap)

There are 2 skinny little nozzles at the bottom of the petcock.....Is that where the 2 skinny little hoses in previous 2 paragraphs go? If so, which one to which nozzle?  There should be a small vaccum hose comming from the engine.  It goes to the left side vaccum connector on the petcock (not the one in the middle, it's fake).

P.S.  Thanx Josh    :P

P.P.S.....sent you a PM Master

P.P.P.S.......I'll be up late tonight watching the Steeler's game!!!

Hope that helps!

Got her all put back together today, and rode her for about 30 miles. She was leaking coolant after about 5 minutes of running. I shut her down & pulled the tank back up. Couldn't really find anything. Started her up again & she never did it anymore. Josh thought maybe she had a "burp" since I had the hoses off??

Stayed in the neighborhood at first. Stopped and got some Isoheat and put it in, since she seemed to be idling a little rough even though she'd been running for 1/2 hour at that point. Seemed to smooth out after that. Ventured out around town and then hit the expressway & opened her up to 100 for a few miles. Did notice a slight hesitation a couple times.....not sure what that was, or maybe just my head.

Anyone notice my post above about the plugs I pulled out? Do those sound like the originals, and what's the black soot a sign of.......running too rich? I'll try & post pix of them a little later......think my Palm is uploading again.