CBR1100XX.org Forum

Heated Jacket Wiring Configuration

Dano

Hey all,,, I just purchased a Gerbings electric jacket liner with the portable heat controller. I went to Gerbings as I only live 75 miles away.I got the kind of controller that clips to your jacket you can move it from bike to bike. The nice folks there gave me an extra battery harness for my dual-sport. I hooked up one of the battery harnesses in their parking lot and rode away.

I have the battery lead coming out from the front-left side of the seat by the fuel tank. It basically runs up my crotch (ouch) :shock: to the jacket connection.

I'm worried about it scratching the tank (to hell with my balls).

How do any of you have you electric gear hooked up?

Pictures would be great....

The heated gear sure is nice, I felt like pissing in my leathers when I cranked up the heat. :lol:

Congrats on your heated gear. I love mine........not enough to piss my leathers, but ........

I run my power cord right up between my legs -straight up the center where the tank meets the seat. I've got a small magnetic tank pad (not a Magknight) that prevents contact with the tank.

I also wanted a somewhat retractable setup so I taped a short piece of plastic wire loom to the tank just below the seat and ran the cord throught that. Then I wrapped the end of the cord with electrical tape several times from the plug to about 4" back to stiffen the cord end (and prevent repeated flex right at the plug). The piece of wire loom holds the cord in place but allows you to pull the cord in and out to hook up before mounting the bike. Then when you unplug, you can easily stuff the excess cord back under the seat through the piece of loom. The electrical tape just make it easier to stuff back in.

I taped the wire loom onto the tank far enough below the seat to allow the plug to completely disappear when not in use, but totally accessable by just reaching your fingers down there when you need it.

Hope that made sense........Sorry, no pics and the bike is in pieces right now.

I have my wire coming out the right side of the seat, there is an inch to an inch and a half gap in the metal so the wire doesn't get pinched. I also did that because the wire from the vest is on the left side. Sorry no pics. When it is not in use for long periods of time I pop the seat off and put it underneath again.

Hope this helps

Brian

I've got an SAE connector (F) hooked up to a relay (A) that exits the tail in the little cutout for your helmet strap when you use the helmet lock.

16034774-L.jpg

I didn't like the idea of the cord rubbing or beating against the paint, and this way it goes over my left leg and I can operate the switch (mines just on/off) with my left hand.

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll try the loom/tube (Jason) version for now. Maybe go for the tank bra in the future.

Thanks for the photos Matey

Cheers Dan

BTW it was 39 degrees this morning for the commute so I could turn it up a bit. The heated collar is sweet!

I am using a Accessory Plug and Outlet I got from Gerbing. I have heard it called a Powerlet. I think it is the same as the BMW plug. It has "Hella" molded into the plastic. I have also heard you can get something like this at from John Deere. I have my outlet connected to my heat-troller.

I really like it. I was originally using the coax adapter that came with my electric liner, but that required two hands. The accessory plug is easy to connect with one hand while riding, even when you can't see it in the dark. (don't ask how I know that) I placed the outlet at a right angle to my bike, so it unplugs easily as I walk away from the bike (doh!).

I put the outlet on the left side of bike in the abs (non painted) panel, just below the Honda wing on gas tank. I mounted my heat-troller in the same panel, but just below the handlebar. I can reach the outlet easy when I am riding and can adust the heat-troller without looking. The wire to vest runs down out of my jacket, then fwd along the break between the gas tank and frame.

powerletconnected.jpg

powerletopen.jpg

powerletclosed.jpg

Since this picture I have changed to a right angle connector. It routes the wire parallel to the tank and frame, and still pulls out from outlet easy.

matey, I thought your picture was of under my seat. My accesory wiring is very similar.

Jeff

Thanks for the write up Jeff.

I bought the portable heat troller. Maybe next winter I'll splurge, purchase and install the premanate heat troller for the Bird.

Thanx

Dan