CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front Discs

arcticflipper

Is it possible to repair the floating disc on the front left - when you sit on the bike.

Mine for some reason is very loose.

It's making a lot of noise when I hit the brakes.

or is this a complete purchase of a new unit?

Can I still drive the bike, and stay off the front brakes as much as possible, and brake well in advance, or should I rather not ride it at all....

This is my only means of transportation.

The other option I have is to replace the OEM discs and calipers with aftermarket wave discs and 2port calipers.

Has anyone ever done this type of change, and is it worth it or should I rather stick to the OEM setup??

Can you take a digital pic of the front disk? Can you feel it wiggle when you touch it? And for the dumb question, there are 5 or so bolts holding the puppy on, are they tight? I don't have the torque setting handy, but if they are loose that'll do it. If the disk itself is loos on those brass like circles that they attach to, you'd be better off replacing.

Aftermarket will definately be cheaper, but you can always just replace it with a used one.

The rotor is secure, doesn't move at all. The bolts are all set according to the specs.

The disc - connected to the floating round pieces (brass like knuckles) moves forwards and backwards, and also from side to side.

How does this happen?

It looks like I am in for a replacement there.

Will do this on Monday Morning

Now only still need to know if it is worth the cash to ge rid of the 3 piston calipers, and put in wave discs with 2 piston calipers?

Will this still have the same awesome braking that the OEM provided?

Yah, you'll have the awesome braking, but remember that you've lost the linked brakes and have to adapt for this. If you don't want to get in up to your armpits in money to do this conversion, just replace that one side with a used disk.

Otherwise you have to do a delinking since you're changing the front calipers.

... but it's temporary...

Auto store stuff -

Get some (heat resistant, if possible) rubber o-rings of suitable size, stretch & slip one over the lips of the rivet. Using o-rings on both sides of the rivet tend to center the disc & carrier. This minimizes the sloppy clearance but still allows the disc to "float"... and is much quieter.

The o-rings won't last forever, although the heat resistant variety may surprise you. If the clearance/slop is severe, the metal edges will take their toll of the rubber in due course... but a handfull of o-rings are cheap.

It's a band aid measure for sure... until you can spring for replacement parts, but it does work.

8)

I'm actually so fucking pleased right now, I can .....

I've found a workshop that can actually re-pin them on.

These guys have a manually operated press that you insert the right size bit into, and then fit the disc, turn the wheel and re-pinn the bastards.

This only cost me ZAR200.00 that's like USD28.00.

It's obviously not a guarenteed solution, but will last me long enough to save up for a new disc.

Well the guy did this 3 years ago, and the bike never gave the same problem yet.....

Motorcycle Magic - thanks....

Second hand disc will cost me +- USD 121.00

Stealers asked me USD 430.00 for a pair.

Damaged disc could have been caused by the accident I had???

even a pothole or something like that....

Maybe I was just unlucky, and the part was'nt up to scratch who knows.

Really happy it's fixed now.