CBR1100XX.org Forum

Different feel/sound shifting to 2nd??

Fonzie

Hey.........I've had my bike looked at by several different dealers for other things, but asked them this same question (one of them was a previous XX owner). Any of your guys bikes shift different into 2nd than the other gears, especially at higher revs? Doesn't do it all the time......sporadically. Makes like a double click or gear/chain slap kinda sound. If I'm riding normal, it will usually shift normal, but if I'm gettin' on it is when it usually seems to do it???

Service guy who used to own XX even claimed he didn't notice it......thought if anyone would, he would

How long have you had the bike for?

Has it always done this?

How many miles have you put on, and was these hard riding.

Do you lift the front wheel a lot, and does this happen while in 2nd?

Have you recently checked the gearbox? opened and checked all the gears?

Might be that the second gear is worn, not hooking into gear properly, thus when you put stress on the gear, it slips before it gets in properly...

Mine occasionally clonks from 1st to 2nd... from other threads it seems to be a feature on the Bird. Some seem to advocate fully synth lube - 10w40 fully synth has been suggested as a measure to reduce said clonking noise

Doesn't bug me at all... I frequently do clutchless changes and it slips past usually no sweat - but when it DOES happen it sounds horrible! :?

How long have you had the bike for?

Has it always done this?

How many miles have you put on, and was these hard riding.

Do you lift the front wheel a lot, and does this happen while in 2nd?

Have you recently checked the gearbox? opened and checked all the gears?

I've had the bike since May.

Sporadically......I think it has.

I've put about 2,500 miles on it since I bought it. Mixed riding......sometimes I just cruise, other times I push it.

Haven't done any wheelies on this bike, in 2nd or any gear.

Have not checked the gear box......over my head :wink:

Glad to hear yours makes similar noises Brian, but no long term probs

Could the strange feeling you get be caused by going thru the neutral detent between 1st & 2nd? going up thru the gears from 2nd and up you don't get that same feeling as you're just turning the shift drum. But you're right, there is something extra between 1st & 2nd, and it's supposed to be there.

Could the strange feeling you get be caused by going thru the neutral detent between 1st & 2nd? going up thru the gears from 2nd and up you don't get that same feeling as you're just turning the shift drum. But you're right, there is something extra between 1st & 2nd, and it's supposed to be there.

That's what I had kinda thought as well, but if that's all it was (which believe me, I hope it is!!) then why wouldn't it be doing it ALL the time was my next thought? Most of the time it shifts/feels the same as all the other gears.

Mine does the same thing. In fact every Honda I've owned (5) has done it.

The only thing you have to watch for on these bikes...

and this is a major problem...

is...

The rubber band thingy that holds the tool kit down has a tendency to fail causing your tool kit to rattle :lol:

Mine does the same thing. In fact every Honda I've owned (5) has done it.

The only thing you have to watch for on these bikes...

and this is a major problem...

is...

The rubber band thingy that holds the tool kit down has a tendency to fail causing your tool kit to rattle :lol:

You had me goin' there for a minute Airborne!! :D

This sounds to me like your clutch isn't fully disengaging? I have the same problem and believe it's caused by an air leak (bubbles) i have in my clutch line (exact location of leak not sure yet). But i allready know i have an air leak; whens the last time you blead your clutch fluid? FWIW

I've had the same noise since my 03 was new. Posted here on the list when I first got it. The noise dosn't happen all the time, and is kinda a clunky, grating kinda noise.

Anyway, last week I flushed and bled the clutch fluid and put in synthetic,

Much smoother shifting now. I'm running mobil 5w40 which helped also.

I'm not sure if the clutch fluid was not done right when new or what. It's much better now though.

Ethan

I'm glad to hear I'm definately not the only one with this noise! I was afraid I had an impending tranny problem or something. Last year I was hanging out a bit on the Magna/Sabre/Interceptor board 'cause I was thinking of buying an old Interceptor, and those guys were saying the only thing you needed to watch out for was 2nd gear stripping or something. I think that's been kicking around in the back of my mind when I hear this noise.