CBR1100XX.org Forum

16000 mile service due

RXX

I am finally about to hit 16K on my 99 bird. I am waffling about the service due. The only thing I am not ready to do on my own are valve adjustments. I have a gut feeling it is vastly more complicated than my old air cooled bikes. How many miles before I really need to adjust?

Everything else will be attended by me. I would like to take it apart for about a week to upgrade my electrics, put in a headlight modulator, and my new pro-oiler. It would be pretty senseless to not do the rest of the service.

I don't remember anyone needing to adjust a valve on a low mileage XX. In fact, I only remember a couple of guys mentioning a valve needing adjustment at any mileage.

Of course, you can check them if you want to, but be advised it's a pain in the ass to remove the valve cover. Just ride it.

In 4 or so years on here, the most valves I've ever seen out of adjustment was 2, and that was a higher mile motor, and they were barely out. I might worry about it later on, but for now, ain't concerned with it. Maybe when I get up to about 50k and decide to do the turbo, I'll think about it. Just ride the bike.

I have to agree with everyone else about the valves being a waste of time at 16k.

Seeing as how yours is a '99 if you feel like doing a bunch of service to her swap out all the fluids i.e. clutch, brake, fork, anti-freeze.

Then go ride it.

I have 35,000 on mine and it is going in the shop next week in preperartion for NEXXT.

Total fluid change out and valve check and tuneup and Dyno run to compare with the same I had donne when new. Fine tune the map and then off on the Train to PA.

This will be the first check up since I bought it new in 2001 other than the initail set-up at 750 miles when I put on the Full Akro system, K&N, PC2 and custom map.