CBR1100XX.org Forum

My First Home Appliance Installs

Obby

Like a good little want-ta-bee handyman, I did my research first. Lots of reading, bugging my friends that have these appliances, and a few visits to the local home depot.

The job a head of me was to install a dishwasher, garbage disposal and a ice maker water line. What made it a little harder was that the house was built in the '50's and never had any off these appliances installed before.

For the dishwasher, the two cabinet doors and two drawers had to be removed to make room. I ended up with 6" extra so I re-cut the excess wood to make a mini door on the right side, then and capped off the hole where the drawer was. Good place for excess beer... ummm I mean baking pans.

The garbage disposal was pretty straight forward and installed pretty easy. Next time I'll install it last as I need to remove the existing hot and cold outlets to refit them with accessory outlets to accomodate the icemaker line and dishwasher.

For the icemaker line, I simply drilled a hole in the floor where I made the space for the dishwasher, ran it under the floor and up under the fridge. Not to bad to do since i had full access under the foor boards.

Total job time.. 9 back breaking hours (no breaks, breakfast or lunch:( )

Anyways, just thought I would share...

normal_Picture%20004.jpg

Looks good, what type of dishwasher did you install. Going to need to do that one here in the near future.

Over the past year I installed new Stove and Microwave hood (both Dacor) now it is time to upgrade the dishwasher.

For the icemaker line, I simply drilled a hole in the floor where I made the space for the dishwasher, ran it under the floor and up under the fridge. Not to bad to do since i had full access under the foor boards.

Out of curiosity...

How did you tap into the cold water line?

Did you use one of those self drilling saddle valves, or did you make a regular T-connection in the cold water line?

I would really like to replace my still new fridge with a SS fridge. (all the rest of my appliances are SS) and I'd like an icemaker but would need to run a line also.

The saddle valves are easy to install, but I know in some places they aren't up to code.

Out of curiosity...

Did you use one of those self drilling saddle valves, or did you make a regular T-connection in the cold water line?

I would really like to replace my still new fridge with a SS fridge. (all the rest of my appliances are SS) and I'd like an icemaker but would need to run a line also.

The saddle valves are easy to install, but I know in some places they aren't up to code.

I suggest that you never use a saddle valve to hook up an ice maker when the saddle valve is above your new Dell PC.

The computer dried out but I will never use a saddle valve again.

Out of curiosity...

Yep, it's a GE Profile Series model. When I bought my house a few months ago I bought all new stainless steel GE appliances (I get a discount through work on GE stuff). There were no appliances in the house except this original 1954 range...

thumb_Range1.jpg

...and yep, I took the recommendation of a guy at home depot and installed both dual outlet valves for the hot and cold. Hot of course for the dishwasher and cold valve for the icemaker. The cold has a t-connector comming off the second supply outlet. I'll see if I can take picture for you (kind of hard to explain).

Looks really nice. 8)

I cut down a cabinet too when I installed the dishwasher but I cut down the drawer too. WAY too much work to end up w/ a 2'' wide drawer. :? The narrow door is a great place to put cookie sheets.