CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front rotor questions

severdog

I'm now oh for two getting my left front brake rotor replaced.

I have a 99 Bird, and it came with the rotors with the uh, "gold" frame in the center. The left front was mashed in a collision.

eBay rotors that are "straight" and "have less than 5000 miles on them" are warped and unusable. swing and a miss, strike three. oh for one....

Fuckit. I'll buy a new one and quit wasting time. I research the part number through partsfish.com and order one through servicehonda.com.

The rotor they sent has a black inner frame. (what years of bird had rotors with black powdercoat?) My original thought was "screw it, at least it's straight".

Now tonight I find out that it will not fit. The center hub opening is too small. I cannot return the part to service honda. Weak bouncer to the pitcher. oh for two. So....

what years had black frames? what years had gold frames? what years had the smaller hub opening? or...

anyone want to trade a brand new rotor for a straight one that'll fit a 99?

:evil: :mad:

eBay rotors that are "straight" and "have less than 5000 miles on them" are warped and unusable. swing and a miss, strike three. oh for one....  

Dude. I thought we all agreed that buying the rotors off eBay was ill-advised..... and I suppose the lying, unethical fuck that sold them to you is now unreachable, isn't he...?

Damnation.... people selling obvious shit on eBay just suck moist ass..... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Dude. I thought we all agreed that buying the rotors off eBay was ill-advised..... and I suppose the lying, unethical fuck that sold them to you is now unreachable, isn't he...?

I gave him the honorable route of returning my money for the damaged goods, and I got a stream of bullshit denial in return. I warned him not to consider selling anything XX-related again on eBay. You guessed it, the dipshit's userid is no longer valid on eBay.

Not to defend him, but I think I know why he contended that the rotors weren't warped.....it's really hard to tell given the floating caliper design that Honda used. The damned rotor moves about 1/4" laterally when you watch the tire spin....but the caliper just goes for the ride. I'm sure that I'd eventually feel it at some speed as an annoying vibration, however.

....but it shouldn't take an ME degree to determine whether or not something like this is straight.

Swampy, servicehonda only accepts returns in the first 10 days. Wondering if partsfish was wrong, I called servicehonda and asked to cross ref the part number....it came back the same. I don't get it. I think that someone at Honda slapped the wrong part number on a '97 rotor.

Did you talk to Joe Rock about this?

If the center hub opening was too small, you have a later model similar

to the 2000 model - I sold a set of straight (gold hub) rotors from a 2000

to Joe a couple a months ago - he may still have 'em - I know that set

was straight.

Varify my measuring the hub o.d. & rotor i.d. prior to purchase.

Good Luck!

I know a guy here in town that has a '99 (with the right size rotors for your bike) that he is parting out. I asked him about them and he said that he wasn't sure yet if they are straight. He said that he would check them out before even considering selling them. He's an honest guy.

I'll find out more once he checks them and then PM you, if you're still in need.