CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stock XX Suspesion Setup

arcticflipper

Need some info with regards to fine tuning the suspension on a xx. Please note that the suspension is stock, nothing done to it yet.

The rear feels a bit loose in quick turns, and tends to wobble when you push it.

I only weigh in at 65 KG. Maybe I'm a bit light for the XX?

I don't want a rock hard suspension, would still like to get a nice smooth ride, but just need a bit more controle through the turns and quick sessions..

:shock: :?: :shock:

Ok I've now tweaked and turned and adjusted the whole fucking day, and I just can't seem to get this sorted. I think I might have even made it worse...

Anyone have some advice ??

What exactly are you tweaking and ajusting all day? Rear preload and rebound damping is all you can play with without dismantling something.

That's one of the reasons you're not seeing a lot of replies here. Short of setting your sag all you can do is fiddle with the rebound on the rear. Not much "fine tuning" to do on the stock suspension.

The front forks on the XX are way mushy. Springs are just too soft.

The BEST answer is to get some additional help with some RaceTech springs.

Some day I will get some help and figure out how to set sag. That's about all you can do.

Some around here has done a 6mm shim on the rear shock and dropped the forks a little and they said it made a huge difference. I am planning on doing that when I get back from NeXXt.

Ok have dropped the front by 10mm.

Have also tried to set the rear preload etc...

I don't know if this is right, but the rear feels wobbly on quick turns.

The bike feels like it slides into and out of corners.

I've investigated the racetech springs and suspension products and according to them I should be looking at a 0.93 spring, where the stock accroding to the site only provides 0.89??

I've fitted a new swingarm & bearings. Everything was torqued according to spec. I don't know if this might add to the wobbly feeling.

Is it possible that I'm expecting too much from the handeling?

How much sag is there supposed to be on the front forks?

I have not yet felt the forks bottom out. Or heard the top fairing hitting the front fender.. lol

It's 1 cm, can hardly see that the front was dropped.

The front is a bit stiffer now, but I must say I don't enjoy the riding position now. Arms and wrists seems to be taking strain now.

Well, will check it on the fast corners for improvements. Else it's going back to the stock setup...

Thanks

As Rick mentioned, the 6mm shim on the rear shock (put in under where the dogbone hooks up to the shock, under where the gas tank meets the frame) makes a huge difference.

It's been my experience that when the bike feels that mushy, you should also double check your tire pressures.

As Rick mentioned, the 6mm shim on the rear shock (put in under where the dogbone hooks up to the shock, under where the gas tank meets the frame) makes a huge difference.

It's been my experience that when the bike feels that mushy, you should also double check your tire pressures.

Bingo...tire pressure has always been the culprit when mine felt "weird"

It's 1 cm, can hardly see that the front was dropped.

The front is a bit stiffer now, but I must say I don't enjoy the riding position now. Arms and wrists seems to be taking strain now.

Well, will check it on the fast corners for improvements. Else it's going back to the stock setup...

Thanks

You can always move the clip-ons back up on the forks. Leave the setup like it is, just move the clips.... It is easy!

Also I advice to buy Hyperpro springs, and not racetech.....

Why? Hyperpro is the only one with fully progressive springs, not 2 or 3-step progressive springs. This will make the bike more comfortable for a ight rider, and have it perform also great under full load or high speed cornering.

Thanks all.

Took the bike on a 1000km + run this weekend - must be the some of the best roads in South Africa.

It's got all you want, twisties and mountain passes, and nice long streches.

The bike seemed a lot more comfortable and held up pretty well under these conditions. It sat with the superbikes in the twisties, and also felt very solid.

I think I will investigate the 6mm Shim - maybe I can get the knee closer to the ground then?

lol - will most likely first scrape the fairing long before I get the knee anywhere close to the ground...