CBR1100XX.org Forum

600 Mile Service and Oil Change!!!

Dragun Slayer

I know that these are basically one and the same, but figured I would ask here. I just purchased a NEW CBR1100 this past Saturday and am aproaching the 600 mile mark. I tried to make and appointment with the dealer, but he says that it will be another two weeks before he can get me in :evil: My question is this " How much trouble is it to get the lower fairing off since the owners manual states that this must be re4moved to gain access to the oil filter. Is this something I should attempt. I feel like a rookie all over again, since I did almost all my maintenance on my 97 Magna.

By the way, the CBR is an awsome motorcycle and I am still wondering why I waited so long to get one. I have wanted one since they came out is 97.

Hello Kevin and welcome to the forum. It's nice to see someone in the St. Louis area join the forum. I'm in Jerseyville, IL (about 20 miles north of Alton). We'll have to get together and ride sometime in the twisties (Ride Illinois, 11 turns in 318 miles) :lol:

The XX is an absolutely awesome bike and I'm sure that you will thoroughly enjoy it. Welcome

Hi Kevin, and welcome to the club. I've had two Magna's and loved them.

If you did most of the work on the Magna, then you will have no problem with the XX. As a compare / contrast, I always used to let the pros do the work on my bikes (helping support the local economy, yada - yada - yada). But after being completely through this board, Carlos' main site, and Warchild's site, I do all the basic stuff myself. And I have 10 uncoordinated thumbs; If I can do it, anybody can. Back to your point, oil changes are extremely easy without any fairing removal (unless King Kong screwed on the last oil filter)

In general, I'd still pick up the service manual as a comprehensive guide, but in the area such as oil changes, plugs,and etc., follow the advice of Warchild and Carlos.

i'm going to try it this way next time as i'm getting tired (and i think my fairing screws are also) of taking my fairings on and off.

question, the instructions say:

<<2. NOTE: oil will stream out a good 8"-10" from the opening upon first removing the oil drain plug, so use caution in placing the drain pan accordingly, and be prepared to relocate the pan closer to the drain opening as the inital oil stream abates.>>

i agree, mine streams the same when doing a an oil drain after unscrewing the bolt - the fairing comes together in less distance than that, doesn't it? have any of you put up a sort of backstop as an idea ?

What's the big deal over removing the lower fairing anyway since it's like a 5 minute job to remove it?

It takes longer to wait for those fucking headers to cool off than to just remove the fairing, change the oil and filter, and reinstall the fairing.

Hi XXers,

It seems removing the oil filter is even easier than I thought. After the Cody run, I continued down to Santa Cruz to visit a friend. By that time I had 9,000 km on my filter and oil. So I bought Mobil1 15w-50 at KMart for $4 a quart and a very expensive Honda oil filter from a Honda dealer for $10US [thats more expensive than the $8CAD I paid in Vanc.

Anyway- I had no filter wrench, and a guy showed me how to wrap my leather belt around the filter and twist it loose. It works!!

BTW: it is cleaner to remove the filter before draining the oil- especially if you drop the filter into the pan.

AND you don't have to remove ANY plastic. IT is HOT though-luckily I had a thick rag left from Cody's friendly motel maids.

TimXX