CBR1100XX.org Forum

Paint codes ? Mix recipe ?

Warp11XX

Where can you find stock paint by the code on the bike? None of the automotive paint retailers I've found claim to be able to cross the code from an '03 to anything they have in reference. Code is NH 463B, color is NH 463M. Stealer gave me color name as Darkness Black Metallic. Anyone have the mix recipe for those codes? A pint is all I need...will buy quart if absolutely necessary.

:oops: I'll go ahead and fess up...the Fuck Up Fairy visited me Wednesday night. :oops: I had just washed her and was putting her back in the normal garage spot. Wet tennis shoe slipped off the centerstand kick pad at mid lift...my balance as off from lifting leaned over into the bike... :oops: I held on and slowed the descent to concrete as long as I could. :cry: :cry: Scratched up the right side lower at the case end. Nothing else broke or scratched bad enough to worry...mirror folded softly and Yosh pipe balanced the bike when rolled over onto the very edge of the canister. [-o< It took me a second after getting her up to realize all the bad luck I could have had and didn't... [-o< it missed hitting my restored '82 CB900F by mere inches... [-o< Thank you, thank you, thank you...

Damn man, where you been hiding at?

Glad to hear she's ok

its sucks.. Saddle bags saved me alot of money when my foot slipped in the gravel one day.

Give Plasticweld a shout, he is a member here but haven't seen him in a while. real name is Bob at www.empiregp.com

He matched my silver to paint my grab rail plugs... :wink:

[thread hijack]

Where's the pics of the 900f? I restored one last year and sold it ](*,) It was a lot of fun. Unfortunately my computer crashed right after I sold it and all the pics are gone :cry: [/thread hijack]

Sorry to hear about your drop. I've done that to my cb900c twice now. I still have that one check out my gallery.

I haven't been keeping up on the board tech stuff here...I'll try to post a pic...any pointers might help. :roll: :lol:

Shooting for next post...

By George, I think I've got it! :lol: Not a great pic but I'll get some up when I have more time...

cbrcbf2.jpg

Oh and... :? I might be sorry if the match isn't correct, but I had a scan done by the guy at a good PPG dealer. He mixed me some Omni in what he says will be an exact duplication of the Colorrite paint...we'll see tomorrow evening I guess... :roll: I'm really hoping. I got a little shock on Saturday after I came back from a dyno run (that just absolutely tickled me plumb pink, by the way :D )...I was cleaning under the tank bra edge and found two dimples and a bad gouge/scrape...it actually did hit the end of the tip on the canister of my 900. :evil: Close inspection found a little black paint on the tip and it all fit just perfect of course... :cry: :cry: . It is ready for paint now also though... 8)

Dyno run showed me 135hp and 75fp torque after my PC was dialed in. Top end 4,5,6 run got me a really pretty upsloping tabletop from 125 mph all the way to 179 where she stuttered on the limiter. :D:D:D YeeeeeHaaaaaa! Indicated was 193 onboard...This girl is STOUT! :D

I hate admitting this but I dropped my XX going around a gate, from dirt up onto an kinda elevated gravle roadway. Anyway the gravel was that sharp edged limestone and it gouged the shit outta the right lower panel.

So, I take it off and play with it and see I'm just fucking it up some more and I take it down to this paint shop (Econo) and talk to the guy - anyway he says the color is "GM Black" and he'll fix it and paint it and he does and it looks pretty good (I had him work around the logo).

Color is, to my eye, a perfect match.

There is very little difference except some "custom" colors and a lot of marketing hype. Some paint manufacturers suggest additives specific to plastic applications to retain flexibility of paint so that is doesn't crack when a plastic panel flexes. Other paints do the same thing without additives. Quality counts for a lot in paint. Buy the best you can afford and you will generally be happy with the results assuming you have a good technician applying it. A bad tech can really fuck up a paint job even with the best of materials. If you don't have experience handling and using paint and bodywork chemicals, you should do some serious homework. This stuff can kill you and do damage to your whole family and household if it is improperly handled...some NASTY chemicals in todays paint and body shops. Respirators are nearly mandatory for all applications now...a filter mask helps but doesn't give all the protection you probably should have.