CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stock pipes sound change

brianmacza

The stock pipes on my '97 (48000km, all stock apart from a K&N airfilter) have suddenly become slightly more noisy. No drilling/cutting/abuse has been done, and no performance change has been noticed.

The only way I know it's noisier is that my wife hears me arrive in the afternoon from work (vs. me sneaking in and surprising her), and my neighbour asked me what I had done as it sounded so much "better".

Problem is, I LIKED it as a stealth missile... if I can't make it go back to the way it was I'm gonna be forced to go the whole hog and get some decent pipes and rejet. erm... maybe thats not such a shit idea.....

Check the connection between the cans and the headers.

Found that just before I replaced the stock cans with slip-ons, I had blow-by on the connections. The gaskets/rings between the stock cans and the rest was worn.

I replaced the exhaust gasket and the bike was silent again.

Might be this, might not....

I could only pick up that there was blow-by when I held my hand close to the join from the stock cans to the rest of the exhaust, and reved the bike a bit. When it idled there was nothing.

Heading off to Parys - in the Freestate - They've got a biltong fest on Saturday.

Eat as much as you can - BUT not allowed to take any home....

They've also got some really good pancakes there.. lol

It was a bit misty this morning.