CBR1100XX.org Forum

Exhaust coatings

The Krypt Keeper

They can coat both the inside and outside. Race cars almost always coat the headers. They claim that hot gas moves faster than cooler gas therefor making more power. I don't think that you would have much to gain but looks.

There's no way that you'll gain 20hp with a coating, but it is benificial. Keeping the heat in does allow the gas to flow better and it keeps things cooler under the fairing.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you coat the header only, it'll transfer some heat back to the canisters. How much depends on from what the canisters are made. Considering how hot the stock cans get as they are, I would imagine that with a coated header they'll be really toasty.

Chris (North) coated his stock header awhile back, but I'm pretty sure he was running Jardine slip-ons at the time.

Jet Hot coats the inside and out of all their stuff. Best coating you can get. I haven't gotten a price from them in a long time but it used to be pretty steep. They also used to charge more for chrome since it has to be removed first. I wouldn't mind finding out how much it costs now just to do a header. You ain't gonna hurt a D&D canister :lol:

I'm getting my two-bros shotgun system jet-hot coated. I'm doing it mostly for looks because the gold tint was starting to wear away. I'd have to go back and double check but I think they quoted about 175.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone let me know what the average/ max temp of our exhaust pipes should be..?

I am running a set of kerker mids with micron cans. and I need to smooth out the end of my "custom midpipes" I found some plummer putty that would work for whay I am trying to do , BUT it is only rated for 300 degrees..

Does our exhaust get much hotter than that?

thanks

They can coat both the inside and outside.  Race cars almost always coat the headers.  They claim that hot gas moves faster than cooler gas therefor making more power.  I don't think that you would have much to gain but looks.

Hot gas is greater in volume than the same quantity of gas cold, and increasing the volume would make it move quicker (like a teakettle's whistle)but not evacuate the chamber quicker. Depends wether the coefficient of expansion is or isn't greater than the coefficient of flow. duz that make sense?

But like you said, that should just gain you looks. :roll:

What about wrapping the collector pipes with heat tape? Has anyone done that? My only real concern is tranfering extra heat energy back to the exhaust valves.

My only real concern is tranfering extra heat energy back to the exhaust valves.

Don't let that concern you. Keeping the heat in the pipes allows for better scavenging, and reduced temps at the cylinder head, as well as a slight increase in hp.

The only real concern with wrapping the pipes is the moisture that collects in the tape from heat cycling tends to speed up the corrosion process on the header. Since XX factory headers are so abundant and cheap, this shouldn't be much of a concern.

You might not want to wrap your $800 aftermarket pipe, however.

ask Redbird..

original.jpg

No idea there, I just did the cans for purely asthetic reasons, header remained bare.

I did have the header on my XR600 Jet-Hotted. Can't say it was a performance mod, but that shit is tough. It'd spend the day packed in mud and rinse off nice and shiney. It was just starting to show a small amount of pitting after two seasons of abuse.

What about wrapping the collector pipes with heat tape? Has anyone done that? My only real concern is tranfering extra heat energy back to the exhaust valves.

Alot of guys wrap there RC pipes without any adverse effects to the pipe or engine. The back downtube runs close to the shock so wrapping improves suspension action once everything heats up vs running the hot header pipe next to the shock. Not really an issue with the XX but it cant hurt to try to keep her underbelly cooler.