CBR1100XX.org Forum

JLM, Autocom or what?

urloozn

Hello boyos! I am taking a trip to Key West in October and I need some advice on headphones. I will be aquiring a Delphi XM MiFi for the trip and I want to get a good powerful set of helmet headphones. I probably won't get the intercom/two way option just yet but I would like a set with that available. I KNOW with all you worldly travellers out there somebody has an opinion on whats the best, so give!

You have a PM.

I have an autocomm active pro. I have a radar detector, Sirius satellite, and Kyocera phone/mp3 player hook up. I ride solo, so passenger mode is not active. Works well. Just be sure to by filters for phone and radio....engine electronoics will bleed through. Sound is good except at higher speeds, when noise cancelling mode os overwhelmed by air.

I have the MOTOcom...lol..i thought all the noise was because my unit was bad....i even toook it apart and resoldered every connection, still got a buzzing sound when the phone is hooked up, without the phone the sound in perfect. except like you said when you get up to speed and the wind cancels out your music :( ..although it did get a little better when i went from the ZG DBL BBL to the Airblade...what is this filter that you speak of?...here is my set up:

Complete hook up:

5ba457ca.jpg

Components tucked away:

b8b87380.jpg

Ready to hit the road:

DSC00063.jpg

You local Autocomm dealer should have filters. They plug in between unit and device. LOOK OUT though, the fuckers cost about $50 each. I heard before I bought the system that they were not a "complete" unit like the JLM unit.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, how about the headphones? SHould I get the JLM or Autocom units? Is there another brand/model that would work better?

Whatever you decide on stay away from the Motocomm. I have one and it just isn't loud enough. It is hard or impossible to hear it above about 50mph. I sent mine in to see if it was defective and they are sending me a replacement but they told me they didn't find anything wrong with mine.

If I was looking for a new system all over again I would just skip the Motocomm unit and spend the extra cash for something that works. Thats what I'll eventually end up doing now anyway.

I have the Autocom Pro M1, now old model.

And I can only hear a bit of back noise, when the phone is charging and I actually make a call.... Other than that the set up is quiet !

I plug the Boostaroo for the stronger output. I thought that just my MP3 is not to loud, but was told that all harddrive MP3's are like that. Apparently they save battery power by limiting the volume...

The XM radio is louder in fact.

The Autocom has the intercom built in, so no worries in the future. It's headset comes with the microphone as well. But you could unplug it if you don't want to use it.

If you contact Autocom http://www.autocomamerica.com/docs/home.cfm , they should be able to tell you who makes the earbud headset for their units. For pure music, the earphones are suppose to give you better, dirrect sound. The Autocom doesn't make/sell them though. There is someone else and I forgot who does that.

I think some other company (may be the Starcom or Motocom), makes kits that are expandable and they start with just the headphones.....

If music is all you need though, I'd start with the ~$19 KOSS earbuds from Radio Shack http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...%5Fid=33%2D1167 ...

If you want to go more fancy than maybe try these... http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?produ...&cat=337&page=1

But if you want to transmit, then it's a different story

BTW, if you look at the Ayutocom, check the Active 7 Smart. Way less expensive with almost all the same features. There is no portable power supply, but since I switched to the bike - power, I haven't used the 9V battery anyway....

Cheers,