CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fences

Redd

anyone try vinyl fencing? I'm going to have to fence around the pool area, and was wondering how hard of an undertaking this would be? prestige-top-rail-16.jpg 8 foot sections, seems easy, I have installed chain link before...but wondering how strong would this be, and should I install it on the concrete decking, or the lawn?

I put in a lot of vinyl privacy fencing last year.

43430943.jpg

I REALLY REALLY like the look of the vinyl. And the maintenance free aspect. IMO Vinyl looks the best.

The ONLY complaint I have is that its not as strong as wood. WHich is fine unless it is in an area that might get hit with bats/baseballs kids..

If you have kids that might be climbing on it etc... Vinyl will get broken really quick.

If you can install it on the concrete decking you'll save yourself A LOT of digging, cement mixing/pouring etc. But I don't know how well you'll be able to attach vinyl to the cement deck. I'm sure there'd be a way. You might have to find some kind of brackets or something but you can just hammerdrill some holes and run some tap-cons in.

I'd just be leery of vinyl if you think the kids would be pushing on it or hitting it with stuff.

you are right. I wanted something maitenance free, but also not too expensive. I found a metal fence that isnt so bad in price. but really liked the looks of some of the vinyl ones. I also had nightmares of the kids cruising around on dirtbikes and snomobiles and hitting the metal fence. God, Im thinking way too far ahead of myself. :lol:

I guess you'd really have to see a material in person to judge its strength, and usability.

But from what I've seen of vinyl, its beatiful looking, no maintainance, but for structural rigidity its not the best thing out there.

I do know that you can fill the posts of vinyl fences with concrete to give them an extremely solid structure. But then the panels still aren't that solid. I was going to do that with mine, (fill with concrete) but in the end decided there was no reason. My fence was just for privacy. It doesn't have to hold in kids climbing on it or anything like that.

Throwing a tennis ball against it, I don't think would hurt it. Throwing a basebal against it... probably not... but hitting a baseball into it with a bat.. I'll bet that would crack the vinyl (post or the panels)

Unfortunately most vinyl fence products are hollow. If they were solid they'd be as strong as wood I'm sure.

I would think with today's construction materials and all the options if you look hard enough you should be able to find some really solid material that is no maintenance. Probaly expensive as fuck, but I'm sure something exists.

You'd think they'd make a metal fence that was dipped in a no maintenance coating. (although metal is a lot lower maintainence then wood)

I do know that you can fill the posts of vinyl fences with concrete to give them an extremely solid structure. But then the panels still aren't that solid. I was going to do that with mine, (fill with concrete) but in the end decided there was no reason. My fence was just for privacy.

Am I misreading you Nik? You didn't use 4x4's with the sleeve over them for the posts? You used just the sleeves?

I didn't use "sleeves", I used vinyl posts.

In their installation instructions the only place you need a 4x4 inside the post is if the post you are installing has a gate. If it has a gate, they recommend either setting a 4x4 post inside the vinyl post, or filling the post with concrete.

http://www.usfenceonline.com/vinylfence.pdf

The only place they call for using a 4x4 inside the post is when there is a gate attached to that post (see page 21) and then you have to cheat the 4x4 over to the side you are bolting the gate onto because the actual vinyl post is a 5x5 post.

Nik, I just put one of these up last year. A real pain in the butt but I don't really like doing that kind of stuff. I used a 4x4 in each post but I knew my crazy dog would be bouncing off of it.

Being 5x5 posts, a 4x4 wouldn't have helped much for my fence except for a gate post.

It seems like when I was looking at materials and researching on the internet there was a manufacturer who you would set wood 4x4's in the concrete and then put the vinyl over. But I didn't use that material.

If I really wanted more solid structure I would just pull the caps off the top and pour cement down in each one. Then it would be rock solid. Of course the panels themselves wouldn't be any stronger, which if there was ever something to hit the fence, the post I'm not worried about now, its the panel that I'd be worried about.

I could still pop the caps off and do the cement thing...

It would have been possible to slide a wood or metal insert down the horizontal slat on the fence panel to give it more toughness also...

But all in all, its fine for everything except if someone tried to climb on it.