CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire Guages/Engine Knock...random questions

JB4XX

A) I have three "stick" type guages that all vary when taking tire pressure readings. Can anyone reccomend an ACCURATE guage? I will pay for a good one. Also, do you check pressures with tires hot or cold? on Centerstand or off?

B) Sometimes I skip gears like going 1236 or 1246. Is this harmful to the transmission?

C) I have noticed some engine knock since the weather has been above 90 degrees. I just put a tank of 93 octane in it last night. Does heat cause more of a problem with knock? I only notice it while rolling into throttle like doing 50mph in 6th. I commute and dont shift down unless absolutely necesary.

D) Hookers :D

Tire gauge- http://www.roadgear.com/catalog/index.cfm?...tle=Accessories

Always check tires cold, center or side stand doesn't matter.

No, that won't hurt your tranny.

If your engine is hot (your temp gauge, not the weather) then that can contribute to knock. Your sure it's the motor and not something in the drivetrain like the chain or something?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1..._3500&SKU=92549

Best guage I've ever found. Accurate (verified with a couple of different digital guages) and easy to use. Best feature is that it will deflate as well as inflate - so you hook it to the stem and can adjust the pressure up and down while it is hooked up.

Spendy, but really nice.

Rich, I own one of those, as well as the other version that goes up to 100psi.

Great gauges, but like any dial type gauges, they're junk once they're dropped once.

Pen-type gauges are pure junk. Use it in a pinch to give you an "idea" of what pressure you're at, but don't trust them to be accurate, ever.

Go with digital. They take the abuse, are cheap as hell, and re-calibrate themselves with every use. Plus, they're almost as small as the pen-type.

I have one similar to the one Rich shows. Mine is marked Accu-Gauge, but it's probably the same thing.

What kind of digital do you have Chris?

I have the same one that Roadgear sells, just not their brand.

Locally, if you catch them on sale once a year, you can get them for $8 Cdn.

So what is that about $.75 US? :lol:

Shouldn't you be busy patching up that Corbin of yours? :roll:

Shouldn't you be busy patching up that Corbin of yours? :roll:

:moon: :roll:

Patch, um what patch, um I mean what hole, um yeah, um I gotta go!!! LOL

Jbow,

If you engine makes that 'knock knock knock noise' at idle when its hot I assume thats normal, as mine does the same thing. Its not actually the engine knocking I don't believe. If you put your ear on the right side ( if your sitting on the bike ) towards the bottom of the engine you can hear it. I think it just has to do w/ the oil thinning out so much when tis 100+ here in AZ that you can hear it. Almost sounds like a cam knock...

Mine makes a knock sometimes.

It happens right at start up before the engine reaches idle speed, so it maybe will knock, say, twice. Sounds like a rod knocking, to me. But I don't think it is. Has done it since new and I've got 22k or so and hasn't changed that I can tell.

I believe that knock knock sound you hear is the clutch plates, and it's very normal.

You'll notice it goes away when you put it in gear.

My knock appears to be detonation. The tank of 93 octane in it appears to have corrected it. I have never had this problem before.

The plugs in it have about 10k on them. I guess I'll replace them and "blow it out" to see if I can fix the problem.

GF got me a nice digital one from Sears. It's an Accutire Model MS-4705B...very accurate and almost 90 degree end for tight areas, cost around $12. Best of all...it's CHROME! Check pressure when cold.

I believe that knock knock sound you hear is the clutch plates, and it's very normal.

It's actually the clutch basket dampening springs. They're too weak from the factory, IMO, and mine were badly worn @ 25K. Had to install the Falicon basket with the new engine, because the higher compression & displacement were causing it to knock all the time, especially when transitioning from accel to decel.

My suggestion would be to check the balancer shaft and backlash adjustments if you have any serious miles on the bike. Mine are due for another checkup, since once I ride for awhile in 90 degree plus weather, I start to hear what sort of sounds like an intermittent, irregular rod knock at idle. Experience has shown that when I adjust the balancers slightly I can get rid of the knocking noise. As the book says, do the adjustments and then get the engine to operating temperature, and if noise reappears, readjust until it "just" disappears.

I have found that at least for my bike, I must ride for several miles to truly get the engine to operating temperature and then adjust everything. If I simply let the engine idle until it appears to be at operting temperature and then do the adjustments, the knock may still show up once the engine is truly warm. I'd guess it has to do with getting a true heat soak into the engine internals, but when I get it truly warm this way and then do the adjustments, the knock stays gone for several thousands of miles. I've also replaced the CCT with the updated one (last year) which did quiet down some of the other oddball noises I'd been experiencing.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Mine will ping when i use any gas other than 91 octane or better. so that's all i use now.

Took the words out of my mouth. If memory serves, the manual recommended 89 but I would get pinging on detonation when I used it. Might just have been bad gas, but the problem went away after the second tank of 91 so I stuck with it.

Also had cam chain rattle at 14,000klms but it was only noticable at idle when cold and at between 4200-5000 rpm. Replaced the original factory installed CCT with a new one (not the manual adjust) and problem solved there. Under $60 and 45 minutes in the garage.

Never noticed any unusual noised from the clutch. Well, not unusual for a cold honda that is. When warmed up - nadda.

...and ditto on the cold tire pressure check. No point checking it hot it will always read high.

I still have a guage that I picked up at an off season bike show from the Honda booth. Dial guage with peak-stop and push button reset and that jazzy little red wing on the dial face. Fits nicely between the front disc and the rim unlike alot of the stick types that can be a bit awkward to fit in there. I avoid the digital ones since I don't want to be changing batteries in my pressure guage. You can spend bigger bucks and get a guage that either comes with a flex adapter to make it easier to reach the valve as well or buy the flex adapter separately so you can pick your own guage and just screw it as long as your guage has a threaded valve sleeve. They're a bit bulky to carry with you on a ride though. Go check out any bike shop or auto parts shop. They should have an assortment for you to sift through.

I have always had that sound, which goes away with you throw it in gear or pull the clutch in, however the knock im talking about is in the bottom of the engine only when its hot. Its very different from the clutch plates/springs. As someone else said, it almost sounds like a rod knocking. Its not very loud, but you can hear it - only happens when the bike gets very warm ( above half, three quarters the way up the temp gauge )

I have always had that sound, which goes away with you throw it in gear or pull the clutch in, however the knock im talking about is in the bottom of the engine only when its hot. Its very different from the clutch plates/springs. As someone else said, it almost sounds like a rod knocking. Its not very loud, but you can hear it - only happens when the bike gets very warm ( above half, three quarters the way up the temp gauge )

Same sound from mine too, just BB's I guess?!