CBR1100XX.org Forum

2.5 weight oil with Wilbers springs?

jimmystartup

I'm just about ready to install my shock and springs but wanted to check on the oil weight before proceeding. I know Wilbers specified the 2.5 weight oil but that seems awfully light to me. Can anyone confirm they used 2.5 with the stock valving?

Thanks,

Peter

Hyperpro Springs directions for call for the 2.5 wt as well.

Happy trails kel

I spoke to a cycle mechanic today about putting Wilbur fork springs on. He said he has seen fork seals blowing out with light weight oil like the 2.5 that's recomended. I don't have a clue. Anybody know if he's right?

Ethan

Sounds like what the mechanic said about 2.5 wt being responsible for fork seals being 'blown out' is bullshit. 1st off---several guys on the board have already done the installation and would certainly have commented if there has been a problem.

On a more physical science level----thin fluids will not compress (increase pressure) any more than thick fluids---they will just flow better through smaller openings. If the fork legs are good and the seals pliable it should make no difference.

I will be installing my springs today, with the 2.5wt--'97 with 37K+, original seals and legs. By mid next week I will have been over a bunch of roads, corners with lots of ripples, tar snakes, uneven Caltrans repairs. It the seals seap at all---I will post about it.

Happy trails kel

In starting the new spring install, it became apparent that without some serious effort being spent to clean up the small rust bubbling of the plating and sharp edges from rock chipson the slider tubes there could be a problem with the seals as a result of the fork tubes being pushed into the lower leg much farther than their normal travel. But that's what it takes for accurate measurement of the fork fluid. Even the smallest 'roughness' on the tubes could cut a tiny groove in the the seals and thus create a leak. That being the case---it's easy to understand why someone who works 'flat rate' would blame anything but the real problem---poor workmanship.

After seeing what is involved---I am sure that if mine leak it will be because I fucked up.

Good luck on yours-------happy trails kel

My compression damping feels spot on but the rebound seems lacking with the 2.5wt Silkolene, feels like my forks are topping out.

Diving into the corners and powering out is very good but slab riding and choppy corners it's just not right yet.

I think the fix will require valving but in the meantime I will try heavier oil.

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned I would post results after a good 'run in' with the 2.5 wt oil.

So here it is----------been out on several canyon runs--where there are lots of surface irregularities----some quite severe. Both by myself and riding 2up. Original seals (about 38Kmiles). NO LEAKS!!!

Hope this is of some help as I know there can be a lot of nervousness when challenging old paradigms. (Old Sacred Cows die hard!)

Hope everyone's new spring installation is as trouble free as mine was---and that you are all as pleased with the results as I am. Happy trails kel

I am about at 70,000 miles on my original seals.... Silklene 2.5wt went in when I diud my Wilbers springs. For me, the front end is now several orders of magnitude improved with this setup....

Somewhere along the line I saw a thread with a link to an online source for shock oil. I'll be damned if I can find it now. Anyone?