CBR1100XX.org Forum

Balancing your own tires

silverbird1100

Anyone know of a good link for balancing tires? I think I'm doing it right, but I can't find a heavy spot. I've made a near friction-less device that as far as I can see works just fine. Are tires getting better all the time and don't need balancing or am I doing it wrong?

Has anyone tried the ceramic beads for balancing their tires?

I think the company is Innovative Balancing or something like that.

According to them you'll never need external balancing again. The price is really inexpensive too, like $1.99 a bag and you only need a bag or two per tire depending on tire size plus you can install them yourself through the valvestem.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

The front and rear Contiforces I just mounted needed no weight. No shake shimmy or decell. wobble up to 150 so far.

Since I started doing it my self I've marked the heavy spot on my rim which isn't the valve stem on either rim.

I think tires are getting better.

I don't see a chart for Motorcycle tires, why?

They don't need one. The formula is simple. 1 oz for small to medium tires, 2 oz for larger tires, like the rears on Harley's, BMW's, Goldwings, etc. Motorcyle tires tend to be much more evenly balanced than car and truck tires are

So, do you guys think that the ceramic beads are a good idea or not?

No, personally.

A lazy person's way of balancing tires, and will change every time you start & stop.

Great idea for the heavy truck industry, but there are better ways of balancing automotive & motorcycle tires, IMO.

Seems like anything inside the tire with enough weight to balance the tire, at 160+ mph could cause problems. Just a thought.

BUT! Hopefully the people at Innovative Balancing did their research.

OK, someone help me out.

How can a liquid or BB's or whatever in a tire ever hope to actually help balance it out?

No I've never, nor will ever put anything inside my tires, tube or tubeless.

Exactly what i am thinking.

Consider this, A tire is a rubber tubular ring that (when perfectly balanced) should form a near perfect circle. So, if this circle were to have a heavy spot in it, and if it was sliced across the diameter, this circular shape should become parabolic with the heaviest point being at the apex of the parabola (like a rock in a sling shot). This is why it will wear out to the steel belts in one spot if left unbalanced. Now replace the rock with some beads and i think they would collect at the heaviest point of the deformed ring, making the tire more unbalanced.

I'm no engineer, well not yet atleast, but this is beyond me if it works even marginally :? . IMHO

I've run Ride-On in my Valkyrie tires for several years now. It's basically a street version of Slime, but I am still doubtful as to the puncture resistance properties.

The reason I use it is that it is self-leveling -- as soon as you put it in, you go ride around the block to get it spread out (centrifugal forces will do that). It fine-tunes the balance of the tires amazingly well.

The ceramic beads might very well do the same. It's hard to say without trying.