CBR1100XX.org Forum

Drive Chain Master Link

marquis

Hey All,

Question for those who have changed their own chains or just know how it's done... is the cover plate for the master link supposed to be impossible to slide over the pins without a chain press?! Again, I'm not talking about staking the pins, just putting a link plate over them so they can be staked. Found it to be a major project just getting the pins to come out on the other side of the holes..did not force them :? Am I missing something here (except the chain press, which I'm still waiting on)?

Thanks for the help

Mark

Thanks, Porter. Seems like it's going to take a lot of torque to operate that press/rivet tool. Can I hook it up to an impact wrench :D ? Kidding, I'll knock it out once I get it here. Thanks again.

Got a large c-clamp and nut just big enought to let the pin fit through?

You can walk it on a little at a time on each pin.

Stop when it's the same width as each side plate on each side.

Hey, where you at in PA?

Got a 5 inch c-clamp. Probably not enough to squeeze it, though. I had the thing in a 3 inch vise and I gave up when the handle bent a little. But I'll give the clamp and nut a shot, thanks, Pete. I live the the NE, around Stroudsburg.

Just to follow up, my connection for the press and riveter did not come through, so I went to work on the link with a pair of vise-grips and a c-clamp with a small nut (thanks, Pete). I was able to press the plate on without a problem, but I still had to smash the pin tops... Enter a 6 inch c-clamp :shock: After almost breaking my right hand thumb, I was able to stake the pins out to 5.45 mm. The manual call for anywhere between 5.5 and 5.8 mm for a DID link. I think I'm good to go, any objections?