CBR1100XX.org Forum

Idle

twolfe

So there is a reason for Honda's Factory settings on the Fuel System....

It is excatly to compensate for this problem. They have not been able to resolve this on the earlier FI models.. 2004 seems to be a lot better on this.

The Power Commander I installed resolved this problem completely....

PCIII for 2002 Model CBR1100XX - Oh and make sure you do use the right mappings from their website.

Now I think and I might be completely wrong, that the air pressure has something to do with this. If I remember correctly somewhere I read up that the choke is engaged by a sensor that measures air pressure etc etc etc.

No, the auto choke (wax unit) is controlled by the temperature of the coolant. It is a thermo-machanical valve which has wax in it that liquifies when heated by the coolant to a predefined temp. this melted wax allows an internal spring to release its tension applying pressure on a rod attached to the starter valve assy thus, unchoking the throttle body. How the assy returns to the origional (choked) position when cold, i have no f-ing clue. Hope this helps.]

No, the auto choke (wax unit) is controlled by the temperature of the coolant. It is a thermo-machanical valve which has wax in it that liquifies when heated by the coolant to a predefined temp. this melted wax allows an internal spring to release its tension applying pressure on a rod attached to the starter valve assy thus, unchoking the throttle body. How the assy returns to the origional (choked) position when cold, i have no f-ing clue. Hope this helps.]

Well, you're a little confused there, but here goes anyway...

The fast idle is controlled by the wax unit. Much the same way a thermostat works, the wax expands when heated by coolant, allowing the idle to come done to normal settings.

When the wax cools again, it contracts, causing the arm to raise the idle again.

Low temperature "choke" operation is the ECU enriching the fuel system based on coolant temperature, IAT temps, etc.