CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stock Air Filter has a separate Seal Element?

Involute

Granted, I bought my bike used so I have no idea if it came form the Factory with it.

I see that Ron Ayers Microfiche says theres Seal Element that is Supposed to mount at the bottom of the Air Filter. Of course I see that after I install yet another new filter without it. I usually pack a little grease on that groove just in case. Aside from being messy do you guys think I'm OK or should I get the Seal Element that I never new existed? Yea the bike has at least 20k on it without any damn Seal but WTF? It's not in the Service Manual either. Am I just a misreading the Fiche somehow?

I also purchased a 99 Blackbird about 6 months ago, and replaced the K&N with a stock element, and had the same question.

I ended up ordering both the seal under the element and the seal they show between the airbox halves. I used the one under the stock air flilter element, and installed the seal between the airbox halves. But when I tried to put the top back on the airbox, I didn't like the way it fit, so I took the seal between the airbox halves out, because I couldn't get it to pull down evenly.

My thought was that the K&N had you take the seal out for their installation, under the element, and the airbox seal was just an error in the parts drawing.

but my concern with leaving the air box perimeter gasket out would be that you might lose ram air efficiency.

Don't worry, the drain holes will take care of the efficiency for ya :lol:

So, you think it's just there for noise abatement?

No, I think it's there to ensure you can't pull any dust in through the opening in severe conditions.

Keep in mind the lid is on the "clean" side of the filter.

Hey North, back on subject Shithead.  Answer my question will ya. :P

lol :lol:

Order the seal for the underside of the filter, but don't make it a priority, or not ride the bike until you have it. As for the seal from the lid, I don't have one that I know of, and I've had the airbox apart 3 times over the last 2 days.

If the halves fit securely to each other, don't worry about it, IMO.

Check with servicehonda.com the next time you order a filter. They were $28.26 as opposed to Ron Ayers $32.94 for FI model. The 'o' ring you're referencing has to be removed for the K&N to half-ass fit (with grease to help the seal). If you are going back to stock then order seal number 17224-MAT-00 for $3.96 with your filter. Just put mine back to stock from the K&N and the acceleration is back(better) to what it was prior to the K&N...haven't put enough miles to test for fuel mileage due to rain.