CBR1100XX.org Forum

LEAKY FOOKIN BIRD!

Cossi

Well my bird is leaking oil. It is just enough to coat the bottome of the pan, and it isn't dripping. SO I took it to the stealer, and the replace an o-ring on one of the shafts. It didn't fix it. But nothing else is leaking it is coming from this general direction. SO they tell me the leak is internal. Meaning in order to finish looking into it, they would have to split the cases, and go internal. This doesn't make alot of since to me, but I am not that familiar with the XX motor. So I am gonna go pick it up this afternoon, and it looks like I will ride the piss out of it till it gets more serious. It isn't dripping on the garage floor or anything but this just really really pisses me off! I haven't gotten all the details about which shaft or what the hell he was talking about, but he did mention the dual balancer shafts, so I will get the scoop this afternoon.

What are your thoughts folks?

Guest rockmeupto125

The inside of the engine is covered in oil. WTF is an "internal leak?"

Step #1. Get the hell away from the pack of idiots you just paid money to.

Step #2. Consider where the most oil is. Yep...the filter and the drain plug. Change them, clean all around where they mate the block and pan, and use a new drain plug washer, properly torqued.

Step #3. Clean and inspect daily.

Now that you've established a baseline...you can more effectively isolate the leak.

What Joe said. That's pretty much how I found mine. Shouldn't be too hard, and since it is just coating and not dripping, it's probably a very minor leak. Crush washer and drain bolt would be my first area of attack.

The only internal leak you could have would be valve cover gasket leaking into a spark plug hole, that would come out one of the 4 drain holes in the head just under the exaust pipes and run down the front of the cases.

While they've got the cases apart, you might as well have them put in a big bore kit..... :lol:

Seriously... they make a dye that you can put in the oil, then hit with black light. It will show you exactly where the leak is from.

While they've got the cases apart, you might as well have them put in a big bore kit..... :lol:

Believe you me, I have already thought of that.

OKay, here is the deal. The balancer shaft has 2 o-rings on it. An inboard and an outboard. The outboard you can get to and change relativly easily. The inboard has to have the shaft removed to get to it. That is what they believe is causing the leak. And of course in order to remove the shaft the cases have to be split. I have the bike back, and will continue to ride it for a few hundred more miles, until I change the oil when I will clean the shit out of it, and probably add the die that Rich was talking about. I used to use it all the time when I was a wrench at the local Ford dealer.

If you isolate the area of the leak, post a pic of it for us. Somebody may be able to help find the exact cause, then we can give you better direction on how to fix it :D

Have you replaced your cct? When I replaced mine I developed a leak and just had to tighten the bolts again. Just a thought

I haven't, and I doubt that the 3K miles the preveious owner had it required the replacement either.