CBR1100XX.org Forum

Right side engine casing and possibly gasket...

Squareman357

Came back from test riding the bike after putting all my stuff together, and I still have an oil leak. It's a minor continuous drip, but enough where when I got back I could see the right side of the rear tire was fouled and any real riding (read leaning) on that side would wind up in a low side. I pull the right lower, clean everything up, and go for another quick spin around the block to get the pressure up to induce the leak so I can trace it back. My right side gold colored engine case has a crack. It's VERY fine and right near the second or third screw down from the top, near the Pulsor cover (which was cracked bad enough to have induced the major leak and has since been replaced), which is also why I didn't see it to order it before. It's the casing where you actually pour the oil in.

Couple of questions:

A. Is there any way to fix this enough where I can ride worry free 7000 miles?

B. Is there anyone that has a spare one of these lying around that I can buy and pay for next day shipping so I can get it and install it by Saturday? Ron Ayers has a 4 day processing cycle, so even if I order it next day air (spending $100 bucks) it isn't going to get to me until middle of next week and I am supposed to pull out Sunday.

C. If no one has one, is there any source that I can order it from that might be able to get it to me via next day or 2 day air service?

D. Hookers? They might make me feel better if I can't find another solution to this problem.

I can't ride with the leak as it, because that fouling of the tire will surely cause me to loose the bike on a tight right hander. I have to solve this in 3 days or less. Any help is surely appreciated.

Anson

Pictures here detail the crack...

It starts at the beginning of the recession created for the bolt, curves around the bolt hole and the reinforcements at the bolt area, and terminates at the gasket flange, all the way to the edge of the material. It's very fine, and creates a steady drip at higher RPM.

oilleak1.jpg

oilleak2.jpg

oilleak3.jpg

It goes to the gasket mating surface, gonna have to pull it. Clean it up real good, JBweld it, re-install.

Problem is the gasket, if you can source one, you're golden, but odds on that is right up there with finding the clutch cover in stock. Quickest, simplest way is gonna be JBweld and Form-a-Gasket, but that's iffy leaving on a long trip. If you can source parts by Friday, replace it, or at least the gasket after "repairing" the cover.

Have a source for a 97 clutch cover. Does this fit a 2002? Anyone know?

**edit** checked our parts guide that comes with the "Not Automatic" and Ron Ayers and they report a different number for the 97 and 98, so that's a no go. Something is different about the mating side for the clutch basket. Blarg.

Hey Joe, called my dealer and they have the service and if it had been earlier they could have it tomorrow depending of course on UPS. As it stands, I went ahead and ordered the cover and gasket on emergency overnight and they SHOULD have it for me by Friday. Sheesh. PLEASE let this be the last problem The friggen bike is running SOO smoothly it's scary. I hope there isn't anything else. Another $200 bucks. Damn. $50 just for the overnight service.

hey,

sorry i didn't read this earlier

i have a perfect right side engine cover that i will sell you cheaper than what you are getting it for at the dealer.

my left side cover got scratched up on my 2000 XX, so i replaced both of the titanium colored covers with that of a 97 (shiny black). fit perfectly and made the bike look better.

anywho, if you want cancel your order and let me know what you would be whilling to pay for it. you will need the gasket for it though

let me know