CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fork seal tool...

Rider99XX

I know some guys in here use a piece of PVC pipe to install their fork seals. Question is what size pipe should I use. I figured I'd ask before I go and buy the wrong size.

Also, how much fork oil goes back in and is there any thing I need to do when I pour the oil in?

I know some guys in here use a piece of PVC pipe to install their fork seals. Question is what size pipe should I use. I figured I'd ask before I go and buy the wrong size.

Also, how much fork oil goes back in and is there any thing I need to do when I pour the oil in?

Hi Rider99XX -

I would take either a new seal or one of the old removed ones, depending on what is easier, to the store with me and then choose the pipe that matches the diameter best. choose one that is slightly smaller in diameter to clear the outer portion of the slider.

I have had good luck with fork seals in the past (not CBR) just pressing them in by "hand".

best regards

mqqn

If you go by the Honda "book" you need to leave 142mm air gap at the top when the fork is fully compressed, spring and spacers are out. It should be less than a quart total in between both forks. You need to pump the damper up and dwon till no air comes out. You can a tie a long zip-tie under the lock nut at the end of the damper rod to pull it back out and use another tool such as an extesion arm from a socket set to push it all the way back in.

When Travis and I did his forks, it ended up being that there wasn't a PVC size that worked well, so he got the size that was a bit small, and we sawzall'd it lengthwise and snapped both sides around the fork tube... worked REALLY well...

Mike