CBR1100XX.org Forum

vibration

Guest rockmeupto125

Guest rockmeupto125

Gentleman on the European forum claims a significant vibration in the right footpeg and bars, increasing since he bought the bike used with very low miles. 2003 model as I recall, and he states that it is directly related to engine speed.

Any thoughts at all?

Dave was talking about this at MegaXX. He said his bike vibrates in a certain RPM range too. He also said several guys on the European forums were reporting the same thing. I never heard of a 'Bird vibrating before he mentioned it.

the balancers can be off a tooth at the timing marks and will vibrate

doesnt take as much as it should to get them out of time

or a dirty injector

So it's only while underway?

Seems like I remember Daves being in the motor.

I'd be more inclined to believe there was a problem in the crank itself causing the excess vibration.

I have a Falicon Super Crank in my bike.

http://www.faliconcranks.com/crankwk.htm

It has been lightened considerably compared to stock and I still use the stock counter-balancers with no noticable increase in vibration from the motor at cruising speed.

According to the guys at Falicon this is due to the fact the counter-balancers are more to dampen the vibration from the mass of the pistons moving up and down than the crankshaft.

Incorrect chain tension can cause this - I overtightened the chain on my VFR and got vibration at certain speeds. I backed off the tension and the vibration was gone. I've been careful with chain tension on the Bird and haven't run into this.

Maybe check engine mount bolts retorque, loosen and reposition exaust, adj. balancers. It helped on my buzz bomb Suzuki GS1150ES no balancers in it but it sure needed them.

My XX developed a very slight vibe/buzzy feeling in the right grip and left footpeg between 40/50 mph. Doesn't seem to be rpm related. I checked everything that could be tightened, everything was tight. I know I need steering head bearings, those are on order. New fork seals and new fork oil goes in tomarrow. The seals on the front wheel are somewhat dry rotted so a bearing and seal job are in the near future. There is no descernable side to side movement in the front wheel nor is there any tight/rough spots when you spin the wheel. So to comfort my feeble mind I'm going to install new bearings. Maybe that will help but if it doesn't it's no big deal, the vibe is hardly noticeable.

Maybe check engine mount bolts retorque, loosen and reposition exaust, adj. balancers. It helped on my buzz bomb Suzuki GS1150ES no balancers in it but it sure needed them.

That would be my first suggestion, as well.