CBR1100XX.org Forum

Running a phone wire from garage to the house.

N1K

I don't want to mess with digging a trench. I want to put a phone line in my garage.

This may sound radical, but how feasible is it to run a hardline down the gap between the concrete portions of my driveway to the house?

There is a 1/2 inch gap that runs lengthwise... Its about 4 inches deep. I could run a wire thru there easy. Any ideas on how that woud last/weather?

Are you using it for internet, or just telephone service? If just for phone, I would consider one of the 2.4Ghz wireless setups. Place the receiver in your house and the handset/charger in the garage. Those things are good for a 1/2-1 mile depending on the manufacturer. Battery life lasts quite a while too. I have walked with mine down to the mailbox which is only 500 or so feet, no static, nothing.

.....just a thought.

+1 on the 2.4GHZ

I dont think there'd be anything wrong with your plan as long as you put some sort of sealent over it.

If you bury it in the crack that would work as well, but you would want to use underground phone line. It has silicone in it to protect it from the elements.

Are you using it for internet, or just telephone service?

Actually its just for a security camera that uses phone line.

I want to put in on my garage so I can see my whole driveway, backyard, and house while I'm upstairs in my office.

More of a novelty then anything. I don't have a 'real' need for it. (unless knowing when the neighbor kids are skateboarding in my driveway counts)

• 2 weeks later...
I've got a easier fix.  Get a wireless security camera.

:shock:

+1

Check out the X10 site. They have tons of wireless and hidden cameras for home "monitoring" 8)

Rich

You should go to www.systm.org and download episode 1 and watch what they did with those wireless X10 cameras... :shock: