CBR1100XX.org Forum

5000 Hard Miles on Pilot Rd O.K?

silverbird1100

I'm planning a trip that's quickly approaching the 5000 mile mark. Bike loaded up with 50lbs, high speed slabbin through Nevada, and lots of 100F temps in California, not your typical commuting. I just need the piece of mind that I don't need to worry about my tire. Any thought?

I only ask because I had problems with a POS D220 at 4600 and it's really spooked me for getting home with the same tire when I take trips.

I'm wondering if 6000 miles on a brand new, freshly mounted set of Avons is gonna be the same deal?  I'd be scared if my rear looked like that at the end...

ME TOO!!!

MaXX

I'm planning a trip that's quickly approaching the 5000 mile mark.  Bike loaded up with 50lbs, high speed slabbin through Nevada, and lots of 100F temps in California, not your typical commuting.   I just need the piece of mind that I don't need to worry about my tire. Any thought?

I only ask because I had problems with a POS D220 at 4600 and it's really spooked me for getting home with the same tire when I take trips.

Had problems with P.O.S. D220,out of tread at 4000,cords showing at 4600 miles.That was 3 years ago on the middle of the summer, Chicago-left coast-Chicago trip.Had to buy new tire in South Dakota.I won`t even mention what brand I bought.Another P.O.S. Dunlop-207.But I had no choice.I`m still pissed about that,will never buy Dunlop again.

To answer your question,Pilot Road in those conditions will last 7000-7500 miles.We got similar milage from D220,so You should get "my" milage from Michelin on similar trip.BTW I pack kitchen sink on those trips ,more like extra 120 pounds.

I'm planning a trip that's quickly approaching the 5000 mile mark.  Bike loaded up with 50lbs, high speed slabbin through Nevada, and lots of 100F temps in California, not your typical commuting.   I just need the piece of mind that I don't need to worry about my tire. Any thought?

...To answer your question,Pilot Road in those conditions will last 7000-7500 miles.We got similar milage from D220,so You should get "my" milage from Michelin on similar trip.BTW I pack kitchen sink on those trips ,more like extra 120 pounds.

Ok now this makes me feel better. My current Avons with 2K on them are being switched out for a fresh pair of Avons to make the trip to California and back. I anticipate somewhere near 7000 miles when all is said and done and I am back safely in Chicago. While I do plan on opening it up a bit out west, I think most of my riding will be pretty sedate. The rear might be bald by the time I get back, but I'm hoping the cords aren't showing yet. I don't think I'll be packing the kitchen sink, but I probably will be running an extra 80 pounds or so of gear with me. Wish me luck LOL!

Squareman, when are you leaving and what part of CA are you headed for? I'll be going July 22-August 1

I'll be using a pilot road with 20 miles on it when I leave for this 5000 mile trip. Now I'm really excited it you guys think I'll get well over 6000. Now I can actually gas it up at sea level (I live at 6000ft and usually ride at over 7500)and not have to worry about the tire. Now I just need everythig else to go right :roll:

Just changed out a Road---had 5,868 miles on it and picked up a nail. It probably had 500 miles left to wear bars on the sides. Over half of that mileage was 2up with a combined weight of right at 390 lbs. Tire pressure was 42 front (Sport) and rear---religiously. It was a very good tire for me. Happy trails kel

Squareman, when are you leaving and what part of CA are you headed for?  I'll be going July 22-August 1

I'll be using a pilot road with 20 miles on it when I leave for this 5000 mile trip.  Now I'm really excited it you guys think I'll get well over 6000.  Now I can actually gas it up at sea level (I live at 6000ft and usually ride at over 7500)and not have to worry about the tire.  Now I just need everythig else to go right :roll:

I'm leaving next Sunday, June 12th and will be gone until the 28th, so I'll be back before you hit the road. I'll give you a report on my tires then. I'll be running a fresh set of Avons (45/46 combo) with maybe 20 miles on them getting them back from the shop, no more than 100 if I ride on 'em during the week.