CBR1100XX.org Forum

Frame Sliders

Madlap

Hi XX companions,

Just bought a 2001 red XX with 16000km in impeccable condition.

Would like to make sure it stays that way by adding frame sliders.

Found some at Jaws Motorcycles, UK, through a web search, which seem fine. Any opinions on these or better ones available? :?: :roll:

A lot of people have the Jaws sliders, including myself

I also have the mushrooms from Jaws. Went down last year at a low speed and saved my bike from quite a bit of damage. I would recommend them.

Ken

I would recomend the sliders from John @ JAWS also.

I would however, order two (2) sets - one for the std. top mount on the fairing and one set for a bottom mount - I mounted mine on the bolt located just above the foot peg bracket (no it doesn't hinder riding position).

The reason I like to have two sets is if the top set does its jod in a crash or tip over - the frame is still unpertected at the lowest point( especially if you have a single exhaust).

If the frame is scratched - the insurance company will total your bike, for it is far too expensive to replace the frame!

JAWS sells the set for $26.50 delivered - so for $55.00 you get peace of mind - I didn't mind spending the extra cash.........

would however, order two (2) sets - one for the std. top mount on the fairing and one set for a bottom mount - I mounted mine on the bolt located kust above the foot peg bracket

Wow never thought of that!! Have to see how that looks. I have to be honest that I did get some damage (just a few scraps) on my bike last year. But that was caused by have my Givi saddle bags on that changed the angle of the bike when she went down. Other wise there would have been nothing.

Ken

That said, RikRad here on our forum make a similar product that members have raved about.  I'm sure he'll have info available here soon as we get back up to speed.

Here is some pics of what I have available.(I have brushed aluminum also just can't get the damn picture to load)

BTW, on the way to Houston this weekend we were able to "TEST" a set, not intentionally mind you, a buddy that went with me has the silver 02 bird on my website and he went down at a repectable speed (about 30 or so) on a road that was under construction on gravel. The lower fairing was toast but it did save the upper, the engine case is fine and it seemed to minimize the damage. The big question was answered though, the fairing mount was not bent. That is a good idea about the lower mount, I never thought about that. I'm going to crunch some numbers and see if I can cut enough cost to do a "full" and a "half" set if any are interested (those that have already bought some would get the same deal and I'll send the other pair for the difference in price.

600_IMG_1758.JPG

600_frameslider.jpg

I agree with Joe on the lenght. Like the shorter look of the ones from Jaw's, but really like your brushed aluminum!!! Can you do them shorter?

Ken

That is interesting regarding the length. I actually thought that was a benefit to Rick's over Jaws. I always thought that the Jaws one's were too thin (but I have never seen them in action either). Just did not want to post anything negative as I am sure both products will do their job.

MaXX

i'd be interested in uppers and lowers in brushed aluminum but am pretty price sensitve at the moment because of my current finances. If this is an ongoing deal for the list could you post sticky in the for sale section? or is that politically taboo? or is this a mainstay job for income?

RickRad: I too am interested in a set of sliders. Silver 02. Like the polished look. Keep us posted as to availability and pricing.

Dano

By the term "half set" do you mean a shorter piece that would go on the bottom of the fairing?  

I think yours would look better if they were shorter....didn't look like traditional frame knobs.  How did you decide the length?  Is the length designed around what you felt was optimal crash protection, and if so, based on what parameters? Or did that just look right to you?

Actually the one in the pictures above are 1/2" longer than these, the current ones that I am making. (I'll get a little better picure tonight)

600_IMG_1817.JPG

Madlap, again, really an upper fairing saver in case you tip it over in the garage. Rick had one go down in a 30 MPH crash and did not bend the frame or the mounting bracket, but the intent is not Frame Slider. The Nylons may in fact absorb more energy, but again, I would not bet on them to save my frame.

MaXX

Hook,

I do need to emphisize one point:

I use two sets, 1-upper & 1-lower from Jaws.

Rik's set are very nice, I like them alot - but you might

find it hard to use a wider pair (like Rik's) on the lower mount;

you may have some interference with your lower leg.

Just thought you might want to look into that before you spent

money on two sets and found out too late.........

I ha 2 sets on my bike when I went down. A set of R&G race ones that mount to the engine bolts and thne a set from Jaws. The ones from Jaws were ripped outta the fairing mounts and the ones that replaced the engine mount bolts were fine. One did its job and I backed it out no problem and the other side was a highside and it bent but still protected the side. But the both from Jaws were pulled from the fairing stays...