CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bleeding bird? WTF??

Alanb

Ok, I've changed every fluid in my bike, so I know what they should all look like, dirty, clean, or otherwise. So imagine how perplexed I was last night when I see a drop of some kind of oil under my bike last night!! It was from under the left side case cover, so the first thing I try to do is identify the fluid, right? Well, how about a flourescent pink, oil-like fluid!! HUH?? Not brake fluid, not engine oil, not coolant, so what the hell could it be? I am very open to suggestions, since to my knowledge this simply cannot be!! If I didn't see the driplet hanging from the case I would not believe it had even come from the bike!!

Any ideas?

Alan

I had a radiator cap on a CBR1000F that went bad and it dumped coolant all over the place including the rear tire. Luckily it happened just as i was pulling into my parking ramp and not 5 minutes sooner when i was cooking about 80 thru a entrance ramp. Anyway, did it start leaking after u took it for a ride (warmed up) or just sitting there after changing fluids. It after riding/warmed up, i would be suspicious of the radiator cap being properly tightened or overfilling coolant level. If coolant overflowing, it act like a slow leak once u park 'em cause gravity will eventually bring it downward to some point where it can drip off the bike. It sounds like coolant. My $.02 ...

No, it's not coolant, I've changed that and know it is the usual green, Honda stuff. Plus it's on the opposite side from the radiator cap.

I haven't moved the bike since a ride last Wednsday, but just noticed the drip last night. I'll check tonight and see if there is another one, as I cleaned all the surfaces up really good so I could tell where it came from should it reappear. Really weird though to see something that shouldn't be there!!

Alan

Is it possible you picked up something with the chain?

Check under the chainguard for the same fluid. Wash it all off, then see if it reappears.

Is your shock leaking?

Alan,

Stop having sex with your hot little lady on the XX and you won't get 'fluids' under the bike.

(oops, am I in the garage again) (heading back to the pub)

:lol:

Pretty unusual, alright! I think Northman might be on to something with mentioning the shock.

Or, possibly, you ran over something that left this flourescent pink oil-like substance. You didn't mention if you actually saw a *trail* of this pink ooz down the side of the engine case. Anything's possible.....

Finally!! Now that makes sense! I did just clean and re-oil my filter, and though it didn't seem like there was excess oil on it at the time, maybe in use with air getting pulled through it some extra oil bled out and found it's way to a low point where it dripped off! Man, I was going nuts with that one! I should have put the two events together in my mind but didn't.

Thanks NC!!

Alan

Alan,

I still have to figure out what is up with my oil leak from the left side engine case cover.

Anyone had an oil leak from the alternator cover before???

Yeah, I thought of you when I first saw that drop on the floor. I thought.. "What the hell? Whatever Tim's bike had my bike picked up! It's the same as a cold!" :grin:

I still don't know what yours is, but whatever it is it can't be good!

Alan